Another Colorado fatal

We saw the black smoke as we were driving back to Thornton from Water World today; didn't know what it was until we saw the news a bit ago. Very unfortunate.

News reports are now saying it was a 182 out of FTG.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18378804

20110629__plane5~p1.jpg

A single-engine Cessna 182 went down in flames and crashed in a vacant field near Thornton this afternoon, killing the one person aboard.

Yeah I had heard. Bugs me a little. 182s aren't known for making "smoking hole" type crashes all that often.

Newer witness reports (again, notoriously bad) said the aircraft was maneuvering violently (I think the phrase was "flopping around" or similar) prior to the crash.

Loaded way forward like that, single-pilot, no cargo, I can't see it being a stall-spin.

There was definitely some squarely winds moving through right at that time.

Just weird. I wonder if there's enough evidence left for the NTSB to figure it out.

The aircraft remains were trailered to Beegle's at GXY, as usual. I listened to Adams county dispatch during the initial recovery/rescue attempt up until the time they said Jennifer at NTSB was enroute, and FAA had been notified.

Nate,
I read that it was an aerial photography mission. Maybe low level with strong gusts, causing a stall spin.
Another possibility was forced landing leading to loss of control With gusts to 63kt at DIA, I can see a loss of control in that environment.

Wed was the day a group from FTG went to Walden for lunch. I didn't got - DA too much for the cherokee over Corona, and 2 hrs each way the long way. Besides, had to pack. Haven't heard from anyone what the weather was like coming back.

For those not familiar with the area, FTG is 5 nm SE of DIA/DEN.

Back