Another Colorado Fatal to cap awful 2012

No, my picture at the beginning of the thread was the one out of Platte Valley. This one was just finished recently as I understand it.

Thanks Mari. I was over at Platte Valley a lot to get "cheap" gas. Eric Jensen turned me on to it.

Thanks Mari. I was over at Platte Valley a lot to get "cheap" gas. Eric Jensen turned me on to it.
Platte Valley has an interesting little aviation museum. Lots of WWI memorabilia.

Platte Valley has an interesting little aviation museum. Lots of WWI memorabilia.

I never knew that. I was there dozens of times and hung out in that little "terminal" building shooting the breeze with the people there. I just loved the atmosphere of that place, as well as Meadow Lake because there was a bunch of Grumman drivers there that I use to hang out with. Ever been there? It's down near the Springs.

Quote from the article:

"Heap said the garbled transmission could indicate that electrical failure caused the crash. The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration will investigate the cause of the crash."

No, there was no "apparent electrical failure", but there was an opinion that an electrical failure was possible. The quoted person is not a pilot, but the airport manager.

Consider the airplane - what other electrical equipment might be installed than the transponder and radios, none of which were required or even existed in the original models back in WWI.

Everyone - anytime something like this happens, can we please NOT jump to conclusions within hours of the event? If we're so damn smart and know the reasons, why aren't we working for the NTSB and not taking a year or so to make a determination?

That was my point, besides an electrical fire I don't think anything electric could have brought that airplane down.

I never knew that. I was there dozens of times and hung out in that little "terminal" building shooting the breeze with the people there. I just loved the atmosphere of that place, as well as Meadow Lake because there was a bunch of Grumman drivers there that I use to hang out with. Ever been there? It's down near the Springs.
Here is a link to the museum's site. They have very limited hours.

http://www.vafm.org/default.html

I've been to Meadow Lake but it was many years ago.

Back