Another Class III OSA question

Star Keeper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Star Keeper
OK I've read through many of the OSA SI threads and before you say it I know about BasicMed and am going to try that route anyway if I can keep the same PCP for more than one visit. They keep retiring, moving, finding God, etc and no one tells me until I make my next appointment. Anyway when I got my current Class III I was given the medical then got the letter about the SI which required me to send machine data to the FAA. The problem this year is that when I went to pull the machine data from the card they found the card was no longer functional and it had not recorded usage data. If I end up going Class III SI and they ask for that data what happens when I tell them the electromagnetic dog ate my homework. I use the machine religiously though I'm probably due for another sleep study due to some weight loss (yay me!). Ideally I'll go BasicMed because that is all I need at the moment but if my PCP decides she doesn't want to do that what am I looking at?

As an additional question if you have been diagnosed with OSA what is the process from the FAA standpoint if I get to the point of no longer needing a CPAP. In other words does the FAA have a process to accept being cured of OSA?

Thanks everyone

Get a new SD card and start recording. At least you’ll have *some* data by the time you figure this all out.

There’s a “lock” slide on the SD card itself. Anytime you remove the card write protect (lock) it. Make sure to unlock it before you reinstall it. There’s the possibility that some computers may corrupt the card’s file structure in the process of opening it for reading and then ejecting it when finished so write protecting the card before plugging it into a computer is recommended.

I had a Phillips Dream Station and it actually recorded 365 days of data. The data didn’t show up on the card but it did show up on the Phillips Dream Mapper app. Maybe you have already done this but run the 365 day report in the app and see what it shows. Good luck.

You’ll be looking at a different doctor to do your Basic Med exam.

I was under the impression that it had to be your PCP or medical professional who had an ongoing history with you. Thats why I fretted with it last year and went AME for a Class III. I'm surprised you can get someone to sign off on you just by doing a physical.

I had a Phillips Dream Station and it actually recorded 365 days of data. The data didn’t show up on the card but it did show up on the Phillips Dream Mapper app. Maybe you have already done this but run the 365 day report in the app and see what it shows. Good luck.
That’s a good point. The basic data may be stored internally. The card keeps the daily breath by breath details.

I was under the impression that it had to be your PCP or medical professional who had an ongoing history with you. Thats why I fretted with it last year and went AME for a Class III. I'm surprised you can get someone to sign off on you just by doing a physical.

Nope. Any state licensed physician. I went to a walk-in clinic for mine since I would have had a long wait for an appointment with my PCP. Doesn't even have to be in your home state so I'm sure you can find a doc to do Basic for you.

Nope, in fact I believe Dr. Bruce recently said there are good reasons to not have your PCP be your AME, I guess the same would apply to BasicMed physician. I can see where you get that idea. In Texas for the conceal carry permit, if you need a medical evaluation they specifically say it should be your PCP or the doctor that knows you best. (Except now we have constitutional carry so it’s moot, although you can still get the permit if you want.) It’s not like that with the aviation medical.

Nope, in fact I believe Dr. Bruce recently said there are good reasons to not have your PCP be your AME, I guess the same would apply to BasicMed physician. I can see where you get that idea. In Texas for the conceal carry permit, if you need a medical evaluation they specifically say it should be your PCP or the doctor that knows you best. (Except now we have constitutional carry so it’s moot, although you can still get the permit if you want.) It’s not like that with the aviation medical.

I guess I got it in my head that asking a doc who doesn't know anything about me other than a physical to sign off on the basicmed would be unrealistic.

I guess I got it in my head that asking a doc who doesn't know anything about me other than a physical to sign off on the basicmed would be unrealistic.

You still have to complete the three year medical history form and give it to the doc, along with your list of medications, for his review. Unlike with a class 3, however, those forms DO NOT go to the FAA.

Basic Med isn’t really a physical like your PCP would do. I think there’s even a letter that comes with it that explains to the signing doc how it works.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back