another Cirrus engine failure. Another chute saves

Dang, really? What kind of club are you in?

a big, busy one. Currently 14 airplanes and around 300 actively flying members.

I might be underestimating the hours.

Never mind. Here ya go:

"Federal Aviation Administration studies indicate that piston engines in aircraft have a failure rate, on average, of one every 3,200 flight hours while turbine engines have a failure rate of one per 375,000 flight hours. Accordingly, for every turbine engine experiencing a failure, 117 piston engines will have failed."

I know I'm just a meaningless anecdotal example, but I've spent 10,000 hours behind turbines (turbofans) and 1,000 behind pistons. Had two jets quit on me, both shortly after takeoff, no recips have quit yet. Thankfully I always had at least one extra engine in the jets. I wonder if fuel exhaustion/mismanagement or other fun pilot tricks are being included in the engine failure stats? Pretty tough to do that kind of stuff in most turbines with another pilot sitting next to you and a dispatcher with an array of software planning the fuel load for your flight.

Always the new guys with single digit posts reviving the dead.
hey who cares how many times i posted i just read this and thought i may have something to contribute ive owned 2 cirrus sr22s and a columbia 400 and
i am a mechanic i do my own fuel set-ups something that is very important to do every annual on the io550n that is one thing that will keep you safe in your cirrus
relating to fuel pumps or fuel .(service bulletin sid97-3g )

I found out recently that my company (primarily O&G manufacturing) makes a component that is part of the Cirrus CAPS. Your lives are at my mercy . . . lol.

hot fuel has a history of doing bad things at altitude....so to prevent vapor in your fuel lines some recommend running the pump while "at" cruise.
Lol no.

What is the fuel pressure of an IO-360 under normal operation?

Never mind. Here ya go:

"Federal Aviation Administration studies indicate that piston engines in aircraft have a failure rate, on average, of one every 3,200 flight hours while turbine engines have a failure rate of one per 375,000 flight hours. Accordingly, for every turbine engine experiencing a failure, 117 piston engines will have failed."
Turbine engines have very few moving part to fail, and the stress on a turbine is not cyclical (aka vibrational) like pistons swapping directions a few dozen times per second.

So to compare the two based on failures is apples to oranges.

Back