Another Big-Cabin Twin

There's no way me or anyone I know would be squatting on that thing. Rip it out and get the space back. LOL.

The more useful features most of those have is the relief tube, which gets very nice to have on longer trips. The toilet itself seems to generally be well-liked by women.

There's no way me or anyone I know would be squatting on that thing. Rip it out and get the space back. LOL.
Even a primitive toilet is better than none, especially if you have passengers. :rofl:

Very pretty plane, though.

When tempted to buy such a beautiful beast, I always like to remind myself that, while the market may have driven the cost of acquisition of such aircraft to delightfully low levels, it is in content and complication a million-dollar airplane, and it's maintenance and repair expense will track accordingly.

I do believe that!

Actually something like a 680FL would be more like a $2 million airplane today. Maybe even $3M. $1M would be more a piston twin.

Exactly. A new G58 Baron is what, $1.3 million these days?

I haven't priced one recently since I wouldn't buy one even if I could afford it, but something in that general range. Even as anti-single as I am, a Malibu at $1.1M last I checked makes more sense.

Have you considered something more common, like a Beagle 206? Kidding aside, the Commander is a perfect example of why I think pressurized airplanes are pointless without turbine engines: They're just too heavy. Even the ones that just sort of work, after you've flown the turbine version, I guarantee you'll be a convert. A Dash 10 powered Commander, 441, Merlin or MU-2 goes/climbs fast, caries a bunch of fat people, and is ten times more reliable than any geared, turbo-super charged (boat anchor) powered piston twin…and it costs accordingly -- for good reason. The aforementioned airplanes will cruise between 290- 310kts at 25000ft. A piston airplane that can climb that high (with any payload) is a trace of rime away from having to descend to the low teens. Turboprops are industrial products…even the best piston twins are sort of like sears best.

Then there's that whole thing about picking an airplane for the mission. Advantages of pressurized piston twins:

-Quieter
-Don't have to worry about ears of passengers
-You can be in O2 altitudes without wearing O2
-Reduced fatigue on long trips
-They cost way less than turboprops

Different airplanes for different missions. I know a lot of people who are very happy with their 340s, 414s, 421s, etc.

Have you considered something more common, like a Beagle 206? Kidding aside, the Commander is a perfect example of why I think pressurized airplanes are pointless without turbine engines: They're just too heavy. Even the ones that just sort of work, after you've flown the turbine version, I guarantee you'll be a convert. A Dash 10 powered Commander, 441, Merlin or MU-2 goes/climbs fast, caries a bunch of fat people, and is ten times more reliable than any geared, turbo-super charged (boat anchor) powered piston twin…and it costs accordingly -- for good reason. The aforementioned airplanes will cruise between 290- 310kts at 25000ft. A piston airplane that can climb that high (with any payload) is a trace of rime away from having to descend to the low teens. Turboprops are industrial products…even the best piston twins are sort of like sears best.

Yes, but as I don't earn seven figures a year, I might not be able to afford one!

Back