Another BasicMed question (following SI)

Sam Gordon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SamG
So I got my SI, so I currently hold a 3rd class medical. In order to avoid hassles with keeping the 3rd class (because of the SI), I'm looking into BasicMed. One of the questions on the self assessment is whether you've ever been denied a medical cert.

I'm assuming my proper answer would be "yes", because I was originally denied, and then had to ask for reconsideration before getting the SI.

Am I understanding the situation correctly?

I assume you're referring to question #13 on Form 8700-2, Comprehensive Medical Examination checklist? Mark yes. You can include an addendum with the form explaining the circumstances of the denial and its subsequent special issuance. Remember, the doc completing your BasicMed exam may know nothing about FAA medical certification or your certification history. As for the question, it's a holdover from the FAA medical certificate application Form 8500-8. While it doesn't quite have the same relevance in BasicMed, its on the form so you are required to truthfully answer it. Marking 'yes" generally shouldn't be a big issue provided you explain that the issue was resolved.

Were you denied or deferred? Most special issuances start with a "unable to determine" letter. This isn't a denial.

Were you denied or deferred? Most special issuances start with a "unable to determine" letter. This isn't a denial.
The AME denied me during the exam, and the original letter I got from the FAA had "your application for issuance of an Airman Medical Certificate is hereby denied."

Gotcha. But as BradZ points out, you'll just have to keep answering that question and providing the explanation. Shouldn't be a problem.

Gotcha. But as BradZ points out, you'll just have to keep answering that question and providing the explanation. Shouldn't be a problem.
It's not. I'm just trying to make sure I do everything right (because none of this process have I done right).

For basic, a denial doesn’t matter if the denial is Eventually reversed by a subsequent special issuance

For basic, a denial doesn’t matter if the denial is Eventually reversed by a subsequent special issuance
What do you mean "doesn't matter"? I can answer I've never been denied? Do you have anything to back that up? While I'd like that to be true, it doesn't sound right.

What do you mean "doesn't matter"? I can answer I've never been denied? Do you have anything to back that up? While I'd like that to be true, it doesn't sound right.

Pretty sure you misunderstood Dr. Chien. He’s saying it doesn’t matter if you answer truthfully, i.e. checking “Yes” on the matter of having been denied. He’s NOT saying it doesn’t matter whether you answer truthfully or not.

From a BasicMed eligibility perspective, Dr Bruce is correct. But if you've been denied, you still need to indicate as such on the form.

Right there is the verbiage that’ll fix this thing for you: “Initially denied. Denial subsequently reversed by Special Issuance.”

You are eligible for, but as others said, answer yes. You’ll have a brief conversation with your doctor about why and probably conclude with both of you shaking your head over the FAA medical system. But, your doctor will be informed.

Right there is the verbiage that’ll fix this thing for you: “Initially denied. Denial subsequently reversed by Special Issuance.”
Except there's no place to put that. "Has your... Certificate ever been denied... ?" Yes/No, If yes, give date.

OK, let me ask this question then... My PCP is a physician assistant. According to the bio on the webpage,
This provider is certified through the National Commission on Certification Physician Assistants and licensed with the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure. Clarice has been a practicing P.A.-C for over 20 years.
Can she do the Basic Med exam?

I've been trying to get an appointment with the AME (the only other primary care doctor I've seen), but they don't seem to understand I want to do Basic Med. The office staff keeps saying "you need to use MedExpress and give us the confirmation number".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back