Another ASRS question: sorry guys

SPAJC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
So here's my story, which I will preface with STUPID STUPID STUPID, and those werent the words I was saying at the time:

I flew my 150 from KSPA to KXNA. I was an hour and a half out from XNA and heard on the HIWAS about some solid IFR ahead. I continued on and decided that the report looked to be accurate and diverted. I sat at this little airport for about an hour watching the radar and satellite images and decided that I would circle north of XNA which would keep me in the reported VFR conditions. Well, I realized soon that I had made a mistake and started looking for another diversion. I found one and sat there for about 5 hours waiting for the thunderstorms and clouds to pass. Finally, I caught my break and off I went. I was at KPLK (clark downtown airport) and departed off of runway 12. I made a turn to the south and was working may way through some pretty good rain and realized suddenly that I had brain dumped the class D airport that is just south of PLK. I was already a mile or so into the D. I made an aggressive turn and B-lined it out of the airspace, cussing the whole time. I then tumed the CT for the D airport and thought about calling them to say that I knew that I had F'd up and apologize for any trouble. But I didnt hear any chatter, so I continued on to my destination.

This was likewise my first airspace bust and the first thing i've had to think about reporting. I'm not sure that I completely understand the benefit of reporting it. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The benefit of reporting is that if they pursue the violation, the penalty would be waived as long as it was inadvertent (and there might be some other conditions like no accident, etc).

It also helps other pilots who might benefit from reading about your experience. And I've found that filling out the form prompts me to think about how to avoid similar problems in the future.

I'd wager you're OK ether way.

Go ahead and fill out the NASA forum, ain't going to hurt.

Well, the point of ASRS is safety. Can someone else learn from your mistake?

I'd suspect so.

Do you know if they have radar there?

That area is covered by Springfield Approach so I would guess that KBBG (the class D airport) doesn't have their own radar. I've been into KPLK and KFWB many times but only into KBBG once, and can't remember if they asked for a position report.

I wouldn't think SGF approach would know the pilot wasn't in contact with KBBG's tower unless they had a reason to call and ask.

Class D towers often have a radar display from whatever approach control is in the area.

If nobody at XNA said anything on your arrival there, then probably nobody noticed/cared about your incursion into Branson's D-space. But filing the NASA ASRS with your story is still a good idea mainly so others can learn from your mistake but partly in case they did notice and are tracking you down.

Yep, I had the same thought, Ron. I was waiting for the XNA tower to say something to me about it, or maybe Razorback Approach. But, nithing was ever said. The GMU Class D has radar, but I think it's somehow routed through GSP??? If thats even possible???...just for example. I filed the report, just in case, and like you all have mentioned, so others might learn from my blunder. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

File the report to be on the safe side. It was a simple mistake.

Back