Another Approach to the Air Race-Airshow

This type of flying activety is what alot of the public needs to see in order to pique their interest in participating in GA at some level.

Dave Krall CFII said:
This type of flying activety is what alot of the public needs to see in order to pique their interest in participating in GA at some level.
Hmm. I don't see how dropping bombs and having dogfights will enhance interest in GA, other than a few novelty seekers who will drop out when they discover the cost of dropping bombs and having dogfights is prohibitive.

Personally I think that extreme flying is fun to watch, but I don't see it increasing the appeal of flying any more than the monster truck shows I've gone to have made me want to put a lift kit on my SUV.

What I am concerned about on a broader level than GA flying is how the need to get ever more extreme is pushing "entertainment" into ever-more dangerous stuff. Hence the Rollerball reference. No rules. No substitutions. No time limit.

Ken Ibold said:
Hmm. I don't see how dropping bombs and having dogfights will enhance interest in GA, other than a few novelty seekers who will drop out when they discover the cost of dropping bombs and having dogfights is prohibitive.

Personally I think that extreme flying is fun to watch, but I don't see it increasing the appeal of flying any more than the monster truck shows I've gone to have made me want to put a lift kit on my SUV.

What I am concerned about on a broader level than GA flying is how the need to get ever more extreme is pushing "entertainment" into ever-more dangerous stuff. Hence the Rollerball reference. No rules. No substitutions. No time limit.

Doesn't look to me like it's really dangerous but it's got 'plosives and looks like it could be dangerous and exciting and spectacular to the general viewer.

That's what much of the public is looking for, both actively and subliminally.

BruceAir said:
I think NASCAR is the metaphor they're aiming for.
The folks behind the Red Bull Air Races are quite upfront about that. And who can blame them, as the France family has created quite the empire.

I'm very concerned about the way it's all headed. As I've said before, I think the Red Bull Air Race is over the top. I haven't seen this new air race so maybe it's not quite so aggressive. Just last weekend I watched an air show act called "Masters of Disaster", which includes a friend of mine, in total disbelief. It's the only air show routine I've ever had to turn away from - twice. Very dangerous looking stuff.

I only hope the demand for more extreme flying doesn't come back to haunt us all in GA if the unthinkable happens. That said, I leave the events shaking my head at just how good these folks are at flying airplanes. Unbelievable.

I saw Masters of Disaster at the Sussex NJ airshow last year, it was incredible ! I was hoping to see them again this year. Were did you see it ?
Any idea if they are coming to the north east. Thanks.

Jon

gibbons said:
I'm very concerned about the way it's all headed. As I've said before, I think the Red Bull Air Race is over the top. I haven't seen this new air race so maybe it's not quite so aggressive. Just last weekend I watched an air show act called "Masters of Disaster", which includes a friend of mine, in total disbelief. It's the only air show routine I've ever had to turn away from - twice. Very dangerous looking stuff.

I only hope the demand for more extreme flying doesn't come back to haunt us all in GA if the unthinkable happens. That said, I leave the events shaking my head at just how good these folks are at flying airplanes. Unbelievable.

Back