Another Angel Flight down

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
I got a call from the AFC mission coordinator today on my way home from the hardware store. She wanted to know if there was any chance I could take a mission this afternoon. Since I'm no longer gainfully employed and had no commitments for the rest of the day I said sure, what do you need. Turns out that another AF pilot from the Chicago area had taken off from St Paul airport in his T210 to fly a patient to Waukegan and his engine threw a rod about 5 miles away from St Paul. He managed to land without further damage in a bean field he spotted. The pilot, his friend and copilot, plus the patient walked to a nearby house and knocked on the door. The mission that I took was to fly the three of them to KUGN. Actually, I expected to continue on to the pilot's home base KARR (Aurora IL) but he had already arranged to have his wife drive to UGN and pick him up. The patient was perfectly comfortable climbing into another "small plane" albeit one with two engines and was really happy that she would be able to make her appointment for treatment tomorrow.

wow, thank god there were no injuries. and im amazed to hear that a non pilot would jump into an airplane right after that sort of incident. Im not sure the I would want to!

kudos to you lance.

wow, ive never seen a more positive report of an accident of any type.

wow, thank god there were no injuries. and im amazed to hear that a non pilot would jump into an airplane right after that sort of incident. Im not sure the I would want to!

kudos to you lance.

AMEN to that.

KARR to UGN is a L-O-N-G drive. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

(There was this $100 Hamburger run that enede up being plane-courtesy car-buddy car-rental car and the same in reverse order and took up the whole weekend. )

That was excellent, both on the part of the pilot and on the part of the media for putting such a positive view on the story. It would be nice if there were more positive general aviation stories out there.

Lance, it's great that you could complete the mission!

They even described it right, as an emergency landing, not a crash... And it wasn't an accident, though it was an incident.

I did not here anything about this until I got home and my wife told me about it. Kind of surprised I did not here anything on the radio.
As for the reporting there is something missing
Was there a flight plan? :D

They did a great job on the story I liked the end were they talked about Angel Flight.

Back