Another Airport Going Away?

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
Not certain just yet but a developer is seeking to purchase some property directly across the highway from one end of the runway. Rumor has it that apartments and housing will be going up. As I understand it they are in the rezoning process now.

It's a state, not a federal airport so it's hard to know what rules to play by. The local town owns the field but it's not located within the town limits. This airport has existed for 60 years. It is a grass field and there is an EAA chapter there.

Any ideas as to where to start? There are a number of pilots that have bought or built hangars there over the many years it's been there. Before the new mayor came in the airport group was promised the town would support the airport and the owners would continue to pay fees for the town to do the field maintenance (grass cutting, etc.).

The news now is if the airport group starts kicking up dust the town mayor will immediately shut the airport down so the word is the "play nice" and hope for the best.

Any sage advice from those in the know? I don't care to put too much information online at this point. Feel free to use a private message ...

You want to give us a clue about what State you are in and what the airport is. Not sure there are any "federal" civil airports. Dulles and National were transferred from the feds to the a consortium of local governments decades ago. All the others I know are owned by state or local governments or held privately. One key question is whether the airport took any federal money for anything.

Most jurisdictions don't allow re-zoning without a public process. Check zoning board to see what applications have been made. Show up to public meetings with a well thought out response. Find a friendly reporter to look into any links between new mayor and developer.

Rural Carolinas have some pretty corrupt boards. Yeah, there's a public process, but it generally gets ignored. Don't get me started on that.

Not certain just yet but a developer is seeking to purchase some property directly across the highway from one end of the runway. Rumor has it that apartments and housing will be going up. As I understand it they are in the rezoning process now.

It's a state, not a federal airport so it's hard to know what rules to play by. The local town owns the field but it's not located within the town limits. This airport has existed for 60 years. It is a grass field and there is an EAA chapter there.

Any ideas as to where to start? There are a number of pilots that have bought or built hangars there over the many years it's been there. Before the new mayor came in the airport group was promised the town would support the airport and the owners would continue to pay fees for the town to do the field maintenance (grass cutting, etc.).

The news now is if the airport group starts kicking up dust the town mayor will immediately shut the airport down so the word is the "play nice" and hope for the best.

Any sage advice from those in the know? I don't care to put too much information online at this point. Feel free to use a private message ...
Can you go to https://www.airportiq5010.com/5010Web/
Enter the airport identifier,
pull up the 5010 form,
and tell us what it says for “NPIAS/Federal Agreement”?

If it’s blank, there are no federal obligations.

Find a friendly reporter to look into any links between new mayor and developer.

In every town I've lived or worked in, finding that link typically requires about 10 minutes of effort. Make it an hour and you'll tie-in the entire city council and planning commission.

Rural Carolinas have some pretty corrupt boards. Yeah, there's a public process, but it generally gets ignored. Don't get me started on that.

I spoke with a former employee of that county that I know very well. They warned me about excessive corruption in the system. Not surprising really.

Can you go to https://www.airportiq5010.com/5010Web/
Enter the airport identifier,
pull up the 5010 form,
and tell us what it says for “NPIAS/Federal Agreement”?

If it’s blank, there are no federal obligations.

Thanks for the link.

I looked (it's blank) and confirms what I mentioned earlier; there is no federal funding or obligations. The field is owned by the town although it's not in the town limits.

FWIW, I believe those involved are jumping to some poor conclusions prematurely. Seems to me that there are many steps that could be taken before throwing down the gauntlet as many of them seem to want to do.

Thanks for the link.

I looked (it's blank) and confirms what I mentioned earlier; there is no federal funding or obligations. The field is owned by the town although it's not in the town limits.

FWIW, I believe those involved are jumping to some poor conclusions prematurely. Seems to me that there are many steps that could be taken before throwing down the gauntlet as many of them seem to want to do.

Your next step should be to determine if the state has provided funding for upkeep or improvements, and if so, what obligations go with those payments. Every state does it differently, but there may be some protection of the investment. As a grass strip, there might not be much, if any, investment by the state.

Either way, Good luck. Get organized, get a seat at the table, and get your voice heard.

Your next step should be to determine if the state has provided funding for upkeep or improvements, and if so, what obligations go with those payments. Every state does it differently, but there may be some protection of the investment. As a grass strip, there might not be much, if any, investment by the state.

Either way, Good luck. Get organized, get a seat at the table, and get your voice heard.

Thanks again.

I do know that the state aviation association is now part of the process. I do not know if any state money has been spent but the town had made some verbal agreements with the hangar owners to maintain the field and that the hangar owners were paying a yearly fee for that service.

A major change came with the election of the new mayor that has been reported to say if the airport in any way impinges on new development for the town it will be closed and sold. I've been invited to be part of a group meeting tomorrow and town council meeting on Monday. I'll have a better overview of the situation then.

Thanks again.

I do know that the state aviation association is now part of the process. I do not know if any state money has been spent but the town had made some verbal agreements with the hangar owners to maintain the field and that the hangar owners were paying a yearly fee for that service.

A major change came with the election of the new mayor that has been reported to say if the airport in any way impinges on new development for the town it will be closed and sold. I've been invited to be part of a group meeting tomorrow and town council meeting on Monday. I'll have a better overview of the situation then.

If it goes up for sale, why not get a group together and buy it.

If it goes up for sale, why not get a group together and buy it.

That is another option on the table until we start looking for the funds. Of course as soon as I get my monies from that nice Nigerian Prince that I sent all my bank account information to I'll be all set ... :D

Dark Net. Onion Browser. Tor Network. You can find the resources you need to deal with your problem there.

Back