Another airline pilot & junk problems

Terrible.

I'm sure this will be part of DHS's divide and conquer strategy now. Improve security privacy invasions for pilots, but leave everything the same for the passengers.

Terrible.

I'm sure this will be part of DHS's divide and conquer strategy now. Improve security privacy invasions for pilots, but leave everything the same for the passengers.

yea i'm afraid of that too.

I'll just get some dork bars and show em commerical pilot cert. Think the TSA knows how to check a type rating?

Why are they making airline employed pilots showing up for a scheduled flight where they have proof they are supposed to be there go through such stuff?

If you ask me, finding them with any weapon doesn't really matter considering they literally have the power to fly into a mountain if they choose....

I fully understand and borderline agree about better passenger screenings, but, the pilots just about have the power to do whatever they want (weapon or not). safe or not.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20022876-503544.html

attachment.php

SIGH!

Attachments

• airport_pie_chart_370x278.gif
    airport_pie_chart_370x278.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 234
If you ask me, finding them with any weapon doesn't really matter considering they literally have the power to fly into a mountain if they choose....

And if one ever does, chances are he'll be driven to it by the TSA harassment.

Online poll.

But it is depressing how clueless people are - about the health risks and about the privacy issues. But given that nearly 30% of the US population haven't ever been on a plane, and 50% of those that have only fly 1-2/year, I think this could really reach critical mass next week when those 50% do fly....

Last edited:
I'll just get some dork bars and show em commerical pilot cert. Think the TSA knows how to check a type rating?
Don't do that in Illinois. There is actually a law against impersonating a commercial pilot and they think a commercial pilot is one that works for an airline or charter and has the correct identification.

Its kind of bizarre considering they already have the right to carry in the cockpit via the ffdo pgm, no?

Online poll.
Nope it is not

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/15/politics/main7057902.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Real poll with real accepted methodology.

You'll love the cross tabs.

Republicans are split evenly on supporting such intrusions and Democrats are 2:1 against it. Independents are almost split with a few more being against it. Given that little figure and the change in control in Congress I would not be holding my breathe for any meaningful changes to occur.

Nope it is not

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/15/politics/main7057902.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Real poll with real accepted methodology.

You'll love the cross tabs.

Republicans are split evenly on supporting such intrusions and Democrats are 2:1 against it. Independents are almost split with a few more being against it. Given that little figure and the change in control in Congress I would not be holding my breathe for any meaningful changes to occur.
You're right. My mistake.

At least the airlines seem to take notice - just received this from United in response to my complaint:

I have read your email regarding your strong sentiments against TSA's
new screening requirements that are gradually being implemented
throughout the nation's airports. Yes, you are right that United has to
comply and this is beyond us. However, your feedback is well-taken and
understandable on the invasive nature of this. Additionally, you mention
that you have scaled back travel as a result. I have reviewed your
Mileage account and see that you have considerably fewer miles flown
than last year. You say this is due to the TSA and if so then this is
regrettable to United.

I will forward your input on this issue to our management for their
review as you are not the only elite passenger that has said this as
well.

We hope to retain you as a loyal member and look forward to having you
onboard for whatever travel you deem necessary in the future. Please
take care

I am reading that CrewPass could well be implemented soon, and airline pilots will rightly be relieved of patdowns and ait screening.

You're right. My mistake.

At least the airlines seem to take notice - just received this from United in response to my complaint:
Wow! That's not the usual "roach letter" you get from them- someone actually took the time to read your letter, look up your milage, then reply. that caught their attention.

No, but I bet they know how to check a SIDA badge, and probably don't know how to check a pilot certificate.

Got a SIDA badge? Neither do I. Though now I'm wondering if my everything-but-SIDA-airport badge might throw 'em for a loop.

Online poll.

But it is depressing how clueless people are - about the health risks and about the privacy issues. But given that nearly 30% of the US population haven't ever been on a plane, and 50% of those that have only fly 1-2/year, I think this could really reach critical mass next week when those 50% do fly....

Actually, CBS claims it's a scientific poll....

Got a SIDA badge? Neither do I. Though now I'm wondering if my everything-but-SIDA-airport badge might throw 'em for a loop.
I know someone who routinely goes through the crew line in uniform without a SIDA badge but with a company ID. I did it once when I was with him and in uniform. When I travel for personal reasons I don't feel like getting dressed up as a pilot so I just go through the passenger line in civilian clothes.

What is a SIDA badge?
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/sida.shtm

In order to properly vet employees hired to work in airports around the country, TSA authorizes the issuing of airport identification badges, including Secure Identification Display Area (SIDA) badges. The badges help prevent unauthorized individuals from entering the sterile and secure areas of the airport. The authorization is done in cooperation with the airport operators.
The reason I don't have a SIDA badge is that the airport where I am based does not have airlines thus no sterile area.

Wow! That's not the usual "roach letter" you get from them- someone actually took the time to read your letter, look up your milage, then reply. that caught their attention.
That's pretty typical of United if you have lots of miles with them. I fly a lot :) But the fact that they didn't include a $250 goodwill certificate (usually, they do, no matter what you're complaining about) makes me think that they might actually try to do something about this.

It sounds like from their response that others are complaining, too, which is great!!

Last edited:
Don't do that in Illinois. There is actually a law against impersonating a commercial pilot and they think a commercial pilot is one that works for an airline or charter and has the correct identification.

How can that supercede the federal definition? I am a commercial pilot.

Doesn't really matter if you have a SIDA badge or not... There were times when I'd be deadheading to or from a location, in full uniform with company id and my SIDA, and I felt as though they gave me EXTRA attention because of that, rather than less.
And in cases where I was traveling privately, they really were unhappy about my having tools of the trade in my carryon and briefcase (ie- headset, portable GPS, charts, portable transceiver, etc...) even if I had my credentials with me.

But it is depressing how clueless people are - about the health risks and about the privacy issues.
My online research shows that the millimeter wave scanners subject the passenger to less energy than a 1-minute cell phone call so I'm not concerned about health issues with that one. I'll grant there is some room for concern regarding the backscatter X-ray machine, but the risks do appear to be small.

The real issues for me are completely reactionary responses from the TSA, privacy, and loss of liberty - with the last two being the most important points. No, I don't have anything to hide, but why should I have to prove that on a routine basis?

My online research shows that the millimeter wave scanners subject the passenger to less energy than a 1-minute cell phone call so I'm not concerned about health issues with that one. I'll grant there is some room for concern regarding the backscatter X-ray machine, but the risks do appear to be small.

The real issues for me are completely reactionary responses from the TSA, privacy, and loss of liberty - with the last two being the most important points. No, I don't have anything to hide, but why should I have to prove that on a routine basis?
The scanners being deployed now are not millimeter scanner but x-ray ones. The radiation is of an ionizing variety. That is the dangerous one. Would you want to expose yourself to unnecessary x-rays each time you want to go from point a to point b?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126833083

And in cases where I was traveling privately, they really were unhappy about my having tools of the trade in my carryon and briefcase (ie- headset, portable GPS, charts, portable transceiver, etc...) even if I had my credentials with me.

Yeah they tend to get nervous when I carry my flight bag on (After checking the leatherman and other verboten stuff) when going to or from a ferry job. Usually have to explain to multiple folks that yes I am a pilot and no there isn't anything forbidden in the bag and ...

The scanners being deployed now are not millimeter scanner but x-ray ones. The radiation is of an ionizing variety. That is the dangerous one. Would you want to expose yourself to unnecessary x-rays each time you want to go from point a to point b?

From the TSA's site:
"TSA uses two types of imaging technology, millimeter wave and backscatter."

I don't know and haven't been able to find in what ratio the two technologies are being deployed. However, the machines do appear differently from the outside, so an educated passenger can decide whether to submit (humiliate himself?) to less radio energy than the call he just hung up with his spouse, or avoid the extra x-rays.

As I said, I'll grant there is room for concern regarding the backscatter imagers.

Regardless of the health concerns, the fact is Al Qaeda, et al, have already caused us to restrict our liberties. That is, in effect, a victory for them and I despise that.

Local paper had this comment today about these intrusions.

"It amuses me that there is an outcry over the use of the full body scan and eventual intrusive pat down if the traveler refuses the scan. If the traveler does not want to be suject to such security measures then they can just keep their feet on the ground. There is nothing that says it is a right to travel. As far as I am concerned it is a priviledge. I want anything done to keep the contents and other travelers safe as they get onto an aircraft. Hey maybe its the terrorists that have planted these refusers to get TSA to drop the security procedures. I hope Homeland Security does not buckle."
Sad to say but the earlier poll and comments I have seen in the articles about this mess seem to support this view point. This is the type of fear that embodies far too many people's views on privacy, rights, freedom. I fear the TSA is here to stay and these intrusions will become even more ubiquitous.

Most people who feel that this is ok or who write articles saying as much rarely fly and they haven't thought it through. This is encouraging:

DA promises to prosecute overly touchy pat downs (SFO)

SAN MATEO COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- The San Mateo district attorney's office has a warning for all TSA personnel at SFO -- anyone inappropriately touching a passenger during a security pat down will be prosecuted.

Incoming San Mateo DA Steve Wagstaffe says any complaints of inappropriate touching during an airport security pat down will land on his desk.
"The case would be reviewed and if we could prove the elements of it, that it was inappropriately done with a sexual or lewd intent, that person would be prosecuted," he said. The charge -- sexual battery.

I imagine this probably won't result in trials or convictions, but it's a good signal to police that they better take reports of sexual battery seriously and that they're not necessarily wasting their time taking complaints.

Most people who feel that this is ok or who write articles saying as much rarely fly and they haven't thought it through. This is encouraging:

DA promises to prosecute overly touchy pat downs (SFO)

I imagine this probably won't result in trials or convictions, but it's a good signal to police that they better take reports of sexual battery seriously and that they're not necessarily wasting their time taking complaints.
When a population has lost the ability to critically think, when being smart is looked down upon, this is what you get.

From the article:
But many passengers at SFO do not mind the enhanced security.
"I would much rather go through a little uncomfortableness and know that I will be safe or a least know that everything was done to protect me," passenger Suzanne Beaty said.
SIGH!

maybe we need to get a constitutional amendment defining the right of the people to move about the country.

didn't SWA already grant that? They say "ding! You are now free to move about the country" :D

Yeah they tend to get nervous when I carry my flight bag on (After checking the leatherman and other verboten stuff) when going to or from a ferry job. Usually have to explain to multiple folks that yes I am a pilot and no there isn't anything forbidden in the bag and ...

I have some funny stories about people trying to take optics for telescope instruments through. Particularly one friend of mine with a very big, very expensive prism that was opaque to x-rays, though extremely transparent at visible wavelengths. The lady running the scanner didn't want to let it through because it was opaque on her screen...never mind that she could see straight through it if she looked.....

Also, travelling with bagpipes gets you some funny looks.

I've heard about people having problems, but I've never had problems taking my flight bag on an airliner - I do generally get the hand inspection of it, but with all the gadgets I carry, that generally happens with every bag I take. :D

In fact, when I got to do that Hawker flight on a whim, I was completely unprepared for a trip through a TSA checkpoint - Y'know, several containers with more than 3 oz of liquid. The screener looked at the bottles (shampoo, toothpaste, etc), determined that there was probably less than 3 oz in each one, gave me a ziploc bag to put them in, and sent me on my way. So there *are* smart TSA screeners who use judgement out there - And good on them!

Local paper had this comment today about these intrusions.

Sad to say but the earlier poll and comments I have seen in the articles about this mess seem to support this view point. This is the type of fear that embodies far too many people's views on privacy, rights, freedom. I fear the TSA is here to stay and these intrusions will become even more ubiquitous.

If that guy wants absolute security he can just not leave his house. Same argument works both ways.

Back