Another ‘Am I Screwed?’ Post

K

king

Over 6 years ago now, my uncle unexpectedly passed. I was down for a couple months and went to my general physician for anxiety. Was put on fluoxetine (prozac) for less than 6 months, basically chocked it up to situational depression/anxiety. For the past 6+ years, I haven't taken any medication and am feeling fine. Fast forward to a couple months ago, and while filling out the form, I naively glossed over medical history and never checked 'yes' for anxiety as I had truly forgot/didn't think of the previous doctor visit. Received my 3rd class medical. I was thinking about getting my 1st class to make sure I am in good health and it is possible to fly for a career, and I realized my mistake. I do not intend to lie when the time comes for a 1st class, but I am nevertheless worried about having this skeleton in my closet and I am not sure what to do moving forward. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You are not screwed and an AME may be able to issue you a medical without a special issuance. The FAA recognizes that people have adjustment disorders. Divorce, death of a family member, ect and allow for a short term event. Talk to an examiner without applying for a medical certificate first.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/table/

If stable, resolved, no associated disturbance of thought, no recurrent episodes, and psychotropic medication(s) used for less than 6 months and discontinued for at least 3 months - Issue

Last edited:
Prozac seems pretty intense for situational anxiety.

What about the "forgetting" part?
Was the minimal dose iirc. Wasn’t fond of the medication either way and asked to be taken off in the following months.
I suppose my main concern is - will leaving this situation out on my initial medical and having it on my next one be a cause for concern.

There is a pathway for a one time situational SSRI usage. @bbchien can best describe what you need to do and obtain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back