Anonymous financial forum anyone?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Perhaps no one else would be interested, but I'd like to see POA have a financial forum where we could post anonymously. I occasionally have a question that I am sure someone on this site would know the answer, but I'd prefer not to disclose my own personal financial information.

I'd be fine with that, but be careful, nothing on the internet or these forums is truly "anonymous".

I'd be fine with that, but be careful, nothing on the internet or these forums is truly "anonymous".
True, but it’s not like I’d be posting anything illegal. Just sort of private. Like what should I do with this quarter million in quarters I have been collecting. 1695472317858.png

And how much are you going to risk on anonymous advice from an Internet forum? Even if the advice comes from a pilot on POA?

-Anon

Haha! -Skip Miller

Second the recommendation of

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/

Browsing there will find the answers to most questions, and if not, post your questions. You will be amazed by the depth of knowledge they have, and if a poor suggestion is made, someone will correct it.:)

And how much are you going to risk on anonymous advice from an Internet forum? Even if the advice comes from a pilot on POA?

-Anon

Haha! -Skip Miller
Everybody keeps saying that.
Nobody, at least me, is going to just take advice. But random SGOTI can often give you a good idea to think about and research.

Dumb idea - not aviation related.
You might be right. If you want to propose banning all non-aviation posts, I support you.

Actually, I don't think it was a dumb idea. The dumb idea was posting it here.

Actually, I don't think it was a dumb idea. The dumb idea was posting it here.

You’ve been on POA since 2009, yet you still get your panties in a wad when someone doesn’t share your opinion? Come on, John, you know better. You decided to post this, so take what comes. No need to get bent out of shape over it. Disagreeing opinions are as valid as your own.

There’s a difference between making a non-aviation post (that’s what Hangar Talk is for) and creating a dedicated subforum for a specific non-aviation topic.

-Anon

Haha! -Skip Miller

Probably as worthwhile as most professional financial advisors.

You’ve been on POA since 2009, yet you still get your panties in a wad when someone doesn’t share your opinion? Come on, John, you know better. You decided to post this, so take what comes. No need to get bent out of shape over it. Disagreeing opinions are as valid as your own.

There’s a difference between making a non-aviation post (that’s what Hangar Talk is for) and creating a dedicated subforum for a specific non-aviation topic.
Not bent out of shape. I just realized that it was dumb to post that question here. I actually considered before posting that it would generate a lot of negative responses. I was prepared for that. Problem is, I only visit three sites and this one seemed like it had the most general knowledge. I don't do any of the Farce Book or similar sites.

But I did think the "Dumb idea; Not aviation related" was a little out of line.
Perhaps if it said "not aviation, cole slaw, cheese burger or football related" it would have made more sense. But you did explain it a little better. Thank you.

Now, Get Off My Lawn. I have a football game to watch; in about 6 hours 14 minutes.

I'm not a financial advisor, but I do sit in judgment of them (I'm a FINRA arbitrator).

I think it's a great idea. Financial advice from SGOTI (especially SAGOTI) is bound to increase the income of bankruptcy attorneys.

The problem with being retired is you don't get any days off.

+1
I’ve been busier since retiring than when I was working. But it’s all stuff I WANT to do, I can refuse whatever I choose, I can set my own hours and timeline for the most part, and I don’t have to worry about layoffs or other BS.

Much, much better.

I think it's a great idea. Financial advice from SGOTI (especially SAGOTI) is bound to increase the income of bankruptcy attorneys.
I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't just take SGOTI's advice. But I might waste a little time by investigating and researching it, unless it was from Eman.

I would treat it as a humor forum.
That's the way I take the majority of posts here. That is why I go to a different web site for actual aviation content.

Say what you will about pilots, even the dumbest ones here are better than the average on most other social media sites. (At least that is what I have heard).

I can see how well this would work out. :rofl:

Last year I made the comment, "A penny saved is a penny earned" and was immediately corrected by a few folks ... :dunno:

I am a licensed Financial Planner (CFP). I used to help a lot of my squadron buddies from when I flew fighters with financial coaching and investing.

I recommend a diverse mix of stock and bonds depending on your age. I like the Bogleheads form as well. I’m here to help if you want to send me a PM.

I am a licensed Financial Planner (CFP). I used to help a lot of my squadron buddies from when I flew fighters with financial coaching and investing.

I recommend a diverse mix of stock and bonds depending on your age. I like the Bogleheads form as well. I’m here to help if you want to send me a PM.
Buckaroo-Banzai-PS-2016.jpg

I have to admit I got one excellent piece of financial advice for parking cash from a forum. I had no idea TreasuryDirect existed. Very cool way to buy t-bills and bonds direct from the US treasury without having to use a broker, including automatic reinvestment., all on-line.

So I'm passing it on to you all.

I have to admit I got one excellent piece of financial advice for parking cash from a forum. I had no idea TreasuryDirect existed. Very cool way to buy t-bills and bonds direct from the US treasury without having to use a broker, including automatic reinvestment., all on-line.

So I'm passing it on to you all.
Thanks. I'll have to look into that idea. That kind of addresses the question I had in mind when I started this stupid thread.

+1
I’ve been busier since retiring than when I was working. But it’s all stuff I WANT to do, I can refuse whatever I choose, I can set my own hours and timeline for the most part, and I don’t have to worry about layoffs or other BS.

Much, much better.
When someone complains that they are busier in retirement, I know they really mean "What you are discussing does not interest me".

When someone complains that they are busier in retirement, I know they really mean "What you are discussing does not interest me".

So who's complaining? I'm enjoying life much more than when I was employed. But it's nice to be able to ignore things that don't interest me now that I'm not being paid to take an interest.

Back