annual

tlrussell

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pa32-300
ok so I'm assisting with the annual and the carpet is gross. I made the Bat Call to Airtex but what do I use to get this adhesive off? Lacquer thinner or adhesive remover.2015-05-29 15.32.16.jpg

2015-05-29 15.31.57.jpg

2015-05-29 09.56.09.jpg

2015-05-29 08.35.47.jpg

ok so I'm assisting with the annual and the carpet is gross. I made the Bat Call to Airtex but what do I use to get this adhesive off? Lacquer thinner or adhesive remover.

Epoxy Paint stripper, Manufacturers of the period used a ura-famaldahide type glues, acetone and other thinners have little to no effect on them.

I took me three gallons to strip the interior of a 170. Be certain you get it all back out then wash with soap and water rinsed really well.

Epoxy Paint stripper, Manufacturers of the period used a ura-famaldahide type glues, acetone and other thinners have little to no effect on them.

I took me three gallons to strip the interior of a 170. Be certain you get it all back out then wash with soap and water rinsed really well.

Thanks Tom I appreciate it.

I'm jealous man!! two reasons.

1) I want a PA-32
2) I was supposed to assist in the annual on my C172, but scheduling conflicts came up and I have to travel for work. I used to be an aircraft mechanic in the airforce so I am somewhat mechanically inclined and want to get my hands dirty and learn my airplane

I bet the headliner is gross…. I bet the avionics need an upgrade… I bet new seats are in order… :D

why stop at carpet???

Once you start replacing parts of the interior,you will probably end up upgrading the entire interior.

ok so I'm assisting with the annual and the carpet is gross. I made the Bat Call to Airtex but what do I use to get this adhesive off? Lacquer thinner or adhesive remover.

MEK does adhesive. Nasty stuff though. I use two layers of gloves and lots and lots of ventilation.

MEK does adhesive. Nasty stuff though. I use two layers of gloves and lots and lots of ventilation.

Only contact adhesives. The old glues that piper and Cessna used was a dry powder that you mixed with water let stand until it turned to a creamy consistency. and then applied with a brush. It air dries and Thinners won't dissolve it.

Only contact adhesives. The old glues that piper and Cessna used was a dry powder that you mixed with water let stand until it turned to a creamy consistency. and then applied with a brush. It air dries and Thinners won't dissolve it.

Man, I remember that stuff. The superglue of its day. The airframe may dissolve, but the glue would still be there.

Jim

Back