Annual Time

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
The bird is 44 years old; Annual is completed. 1 Air Filter($11.50); 1 Oil Screen Gasket($2.50); 7 qts. oil($54.95); 1 Annual($560.00); Repaint Airbox(2 hours - $140.00); Maine Sales Tax($3.02). Total: $771.97. It just kills me that she's sitting outside in the rain for a couple days instead of being in its usual hangar. And my philosophy continues: "Take care of the day-to-day maintenance and there'll be no big surprises at Annual."

HR

How do you do the annual outside? Especially in Maine???

And I agree with your philosophy, along with help by doing as much maintenance as possible yourself, with A&P supervision when required. There's no substitute for knowing how your plane works, and exactly what shape it's all in.

The plane went to 3B5 on Monday, was ready for pickup on Friday. But for the rain, it hasn't come home yet, and rarely spends a night outside, usually comfortable as pictured.

HR

Attachments

• N7872G Avatar.jpg
    N7872G Avatar.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 34
That sounds pretty cheap for an annual.

Mine has been running around ~$800 even when we don't replace anything and I help.... and supply the oil.

Am I getting the shaft?

I'll not draw any conclusions re your situation. The same place has been doing my annuals since 2000 and it's almost always been termed as "a piece of cake," the plane known for being kept in such good condition. The exception was 2012 -- age 42 -- and three of the original four cylinders had a hairline crack. The fourth passed inspection but four new jugs went into her. That was a $5400 Annual. Ouch! Photos: the "coming home" with four new cylinders.

HR

Attachments

• N7872G Top-job_1.JPG
    N7872G Top-job_1.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 22
  • N7872G Top-job_3.JPG
    N7872G Top-job_3.JPG
    479.8 KB · Views: 18
  • N7872G Top-job_4.JPG
    N7872G Top-job_4.JPG
    455.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
We're doing the annual on the Free Bird this weekend (in its hangar). Wish us luck.

My 182 annual was completed at the end of April, not quite that cheap.:rolleyes: But not too bad, I had a couple fairings replaced and a few other little items replaced, but it was just over $2K. :D

That sounds pretty cheap for an annual.

Mine has been running around ~$800 even when we don't replace anything and I help.... and supply the oil.

Am I getting the shaft?

Depends a lot on where you are and how much you do yourself as an owner.

That said, $700-800 for the inspection on a single engine fixed gear seems fairly average to me, but you will see some significant variation.

Back