Annual, repair and maintenance on an M20F

If it was flown regularly and inspected properly including cutting the filter and better yet oil analysis for the last two years, then you probably don’t have anything to worry about.

Suggest you have an experienced Mooney guy look your wing over.

Tip Strikes often result in damage near the fuselage.

Lots of leverage there.

It appears that the pressure went into the end of the wing toward the fuselage, not levering on the wing. Not sure how you would get access to inspect the wing root. Not sure what you would look for either.

Suggest you have an experienced Mooney guy look your wing over.
Tip Strikes often result in damage near the fuselage.
Soooo...shop 1 was a Mooney place, one of the well known 3. With it being there 2 weeks, I am not even sure they looked at it once in their hands even though they quoted the repair. Current shop is another well known Mooney place. Not saying you are incorrect, but the the weight given to Mooney shops seems to be larger than the actual results. My first annual found poor work performed by 2 of the 'top' 3 shops.

It appears that the pressure went into the end of the wing toward the fuselage, not levering on the wing. Not sure how you would get access to inspect the wing root. Not sure what you would look for either.
It was more of a wing swipe as he was turning - not much direct energy aimed at the wing root. But, it is at the shop now so I will keep you all posted in post #3.

Tip Strikes can be sneaky.

Archer II had a “ Minor Strike” and barely cracked the plastic tip. So it continued to fly . Someone noticed the tip could be moved fore and aft. When interior panels were pulled the forward wing attach had failed in bearing .

Cardinal had a hangar jump in front during taxi. Owner bought a new tip and considered it insignificant. Then another “ someone” noticed some distortion
In the fuselage. Turned out to be a total. Cardinal rebuilder that got salvage bid said it’s common for the type. No Ferry Permit. It was disassembled to move.

The 150 also tried to move a hangar. Several Annuals later the buckle just behind the Fuel Tank Cover was diagnosed as a a crack in the Rear ( False) Spar.
I have the inboard 3 feet of Spar for “ show n tell”.

Etc, etc.

Mooney uses quite a few Huck Rivets that are very resistant to shear forces. A Bird Strike managed to do it though. The Insurance folks are reluctant to honor a claim
from old incidents.

Your call.

Annual inspection now complete (post#2 updated). On to the hopefully quick repairs!

Mooney uses quite a few Huck Rivets that are very resistant to shear forces. A Bird Strike managed to do it though. The Insurance folks are reluctant to honor a claim
from old incidents.
Your call.
Not sure if this was at me or in general, but the plane is at a Mooney shop tasked with annual inspection and wingtip repair - they confirmed only local damage.

Well, calling around now for wing skin and tip but looks like two more months before Mooney will make them. I guess I am picking it up next week and have yet another repair trip in my future.

Second to last update on this thread, I think. Picked up the plane as it was clear the skins would have to wait on Mooney and the rest of the annual was done. The little extras I requested, not so much. Next time I drop it off, I will print the list and stick it to the window. And stuff I assumed would be done as part of the annual wasn't - oops. Specifically, the transponder and pitot were expired. So, as soon as the plane was back home, in to the next mechanic. The weird part now is I still don't have the invoice for the annual. Have the plane and the logs but at some point will get the bill. Only other update, a last minute one-way ORD - MSP wasn't too bad in pricing until a snow storm came through and blew up all the flight schedules. So, pricing a week out was holding steady, would have been the time to book.

Second to last update on this thread, I think. Picked up the plane as it was clear the skins would have to wait on Mooney and the rest of the annual was done. The little extras I requested, not so much. Next time I drop it off, I will print the list and stick it to the window. And stuff I assumed would be done as part of the annual wasn't - oops. Specifically, the transponder and pitot were expired. So, as soon as the plane was back home, in to the next mechanic. The weird part now is I still don't have the invoice for the annual. Have the plane and the logs but at some point will get the bill. Only other update, a last minute one-way ORD - MSP wasn't too bad in pricing until a snow storm came through and blew up all the flight schedules. So, pricing a week out was holding steady, would have been the time to book.

Pitot/xpondr wouldn’t be part of the annual, unless u asked them to do it. Last annual I asked them to do the ifr certs (they outsource that to another guy) and he conveniently didn’t show up. So now I gotta get that done separately.

Pitot/xpondr wouldn’t be part of the annual, unless u asked them to do it. Last annual I asked them to do the ifr certs (they outsource that to another guy) and he conveniently didn’t show up. So now I gotta get that done separately.
I've been really lucky the shop I use has been a one-stop shop: pitot/Xpndr, prop hub ECI, oxygen refills. Also known as one of the top shops for Cardinals if anyone needs a recommendation. They usually have 4 or 5 Cardinals going at once - about the only good looking Cessna out there.

….. They usually have 4 or 5 Cardinals going at once - about the only good looking Cessna out there.

Agreed. Until you get into Cessna low wings. No explanation needed.

687bju.jpg

Eh, some small surprises. Annual was quoted at 2,500 even as there was some more labor included for inspecting the turbo. I assumed (yeah - oops) the basic materials would be included such as oil, filter, spark plug gaskets, etc. but they were itemized. Total cost was just over $2800 with the gear repair, basics, and what I will call a unapproved bonus fix (nose gear tracking SB) that its cheap enough I am not going to fight it off to maintain a good relationship. But will ensure more thorough, written, documentation going forward.

Last edited:
Yeah, the annual price is labor only, parts, fluids, and squawks are extra.

Back