Annual is Done

Just a reminder.....When you get your plane back from annual, do the
best pre-flight inspection of your life!
I speak from experience!

Agree. My CFI found a Inspection plate that wasn't secured properly. Said that it might have made for an interesting flight if he hadn't seen it.

Don't complain, it could be worse.

Kevin

I speak from experience!
that is the last thing the IA should do too.

The first time a mechanic doesn't give me an itemized bill is the last time he sees me. I gave itemized bills fixing computers, so I expect the same courtesy.

With me and most of my customers it is mostly verbal, I tell them what I did and what the bill is, they hand me cash.

Of course the maintenance/inspections are logged.

Are either of the $1700 and $1300 planes retracts? I'm looking at buying a Beech Deb and the last annual was $4400. It was $2400 flat fee on the first line, not including so much as the first drop of oil.

Those numbers give me pause.

Just completed annual for $1400 172 RG. Of course two years ago it was $12000.

I speak from experience!

Exactly, I read that in a Collins article in Flying Mag when I was young, and it works. I open cowls, I try to be around when they are buttoning up, they are used to me being around. A very complete preflight is required.

I've found tools on top of engine cylinders, on the floor in the cockpit, etc. I've found safety wire missing on brake assemblies, and once the rudder return spring was mounted wrong and dragged on the frame.

I start the oil pressure checks, then shut it down to check for leaks. Then start up again, taxi around, warm things up, engine run up, mag checks, full static RPM checks.

Only after the last minute squawks are being taken care of do we go over the logbook entires and I write the check. The log books leave with me.

I've had mechanics say, " it's late, go ahead and take it, we'll clean up the books tomorrow", no dice. I can come back in the morning, what time will you be here. He also knows if I'm not flying it's lost revenue to me.

My annual this year was $1100. I had to replace the spark plugs, the prop control, and the carb. heat control. New seat track rollers, and put a patch on a rock hole in the bottom of the Horz. stab. and rebuild a new door for the cowling to check the oil. the big door on my 182. I didn't think that was so bad plus the inspection and packed the wheel bearings, to boot. Oh and a new vacuum hose from the vacuum pump to the firewall. I just love my mechanic. Not only is he a great mechanic but a great friend as well.

Back