Annual Inspection

I don't believe an IA should write a logbook entry declaring an aircraft unairworthy. At most he should complete the annual and provide a list of discrepancies to the owner stating so in the logbook entry and obviously not stating anything about it being in an airworthy condition. It's the owner's responsibility to have the discrepancies cleared and the authorized person clearing the discrepancies signs the return to service for each discrepancy.
There are only two ways to sign the annual off, airworthy, or unairworthy. But,, we do have the option of continuing the inspection until the aircraft is airworthy.

many times the owner will not want the inspector to repair the aircraft, because their buddies do it free. So I give them the option, Do you want me to come back, (it isn't free) or would you like me to complete the inspection now, and allow your buddies to return it to service?

9 out 0f 10 times they will opt for a UNairworthy sign off.

Because you didn't seem to know. Your statement inferred that the AC was the Regulation, It isn't, Far 91.417 is and it requires a maintenance record be kept for each component mentioned.

I don't even know why you brought the AC into the conversation, when the FAR is perfectly clear.
I don't think any of what you wrote in your post quoted above is accurate other than your mention of 91.417. I inferred nothing of the sort you suggest, and you're the one who asked about regulations versus AC's. As for why AC's were mentioned in the first place, that's because it was what the Engine & Propeller Directorate wrote, and I quoted them on it -- with attribution. If you don't like what they wrote, I suggest you take it up with them directly.

Address:
Federal Aviation Administration
Engine Certification Office (ANE-140)
12 New England Executive Park
Burlington, MA 01803

Phone: (781) 238-7145
Fax: (781) 238-7199

Last edited:
Oh....:D

GIF-Gorilla-Attack.gif

Originally Posted by Tom-D
Because you didn't seem to know. Your statement inferred that the AC was the Regulation, It isn't, Far 91.417 is and it requires a maintenance record be kept for each component mentioned.

I don't even know why you brought the AC into the conversation, when the FAR is perfectly clear.

I don't think any of what you wrote in your post quoted above is accurate other than your mention of 91.417. I inferred nothing of the sort you suggest, and you're the one who asked about regulations versus AC's. As for why AC's were mentioned in the first place, that's because it was what the Engine & Propeller Directorate wrote, and I quoted them on it -- with attribution. If you don't like what they wrote, I suggest you take it up with them directly.

Address:
Federal Aviation Administration
Engine Certification Office (ANE-140)
12 New England Executive Park
Burlington, MA 01803

Phone: (781) 238-7145
Fax: (781) 238-7199

cat-saturday-201_zps20d0fd42.jpg

Back