Annual due -- Taking Predictions

Apache123

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
This is the first full annual-cycle I've owned the Apache.

The previous owner only flew her full rich, and from 2005 to 2010 he put 120 hours on her.

Left engine 700hrs, last annual compressions all 74. Right engine 1800hrs, 800hrs STOH, compressions 68~72. Replaced spark plugs on both.

Due to some initial "I bought this plane 'cheap'" post-annual/purchase maintenance I didn't get to bring her up as often as I'd like, but in the last three months she's put on about 20ish hours.

I fly her following Mike Busch's leaning preference -- always lean except for take-off below 3000'. In the air I lean until rough and then enrich slightly. Full rich the previous owner reported about 8.5gph/side at 23"/2300. I get roughly 5gph/side very very lean at 23"/2000. There is definitely noticeable power loss this lean.

Two oil changes (seasonally) and the old stuff was clean. Burns about a quart per side every 5~6 hours.

Any guesses on what the engine/cylinders will show with such a change in operation (or if that even counts as much of a change since it's still only about 35hrs in one year)?

If anyone wants more details just for data or curiosity just ask.

I'll post the engine results once she undergoes the engine inspection.

I'm thinking a fairly normal 100-hr inspection on the engines with decent compression checks.

Back