*%#@$% ANNOYING!

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
This occurs on Win or FF with different servers whether on my computer or on another computer.

I log onto POA. I write a reply to a post. I click SUBMIT and I'm prompted to log in. Whether I click Bk Sp or follow the prompt and log in, my reply is lost and unrecoverable. If I should follow the prompt, after I log in again I am taken to a blank screen which will not change until I nav to the POA homepage.

This occurs whether my initial log-in is to a specific thread or at the POA home page. Also, this occurs whether I took 10 seconds or 10 minutes to compose my reply. Also, this does not occur at all times but often enough that it is *%#@$% Annoying!

EDIT: I seem to recall this has occurred before Jesse took the reins.

When you log in, do you click the "remember me" box?

And have you configured FF to accept cookies from POA?

When you log in, do you click the "remember me" box?

And have you configured FF to accept cookies from POA?

1) I used to but do not now. Nonetheless, this problem occurred whether or not I clicked "Remember me".

2) Yes. Remember, I said this problem also occurs when I am on Win.

Thank you for your response.

I'd suggest clearing your temporary files and cache, but you said this happens on any computer you try this with, correct?

1) I used to but do not now. Nonetheless, this problem occurred whether or not I clicked "Remember me".

2) Yes. Remember, I said this problem also occurs when I am on Win.

Thank you for your response.

1) If FF is not accepting cookies from POA, then "remember me"
won't help.

2) ok, I can't resist saying get a mac. :)

Curious: How did you reply to this post?

It sounds like some sort of cookie problem. One other thing to check is the computer date and time. If these are off all browsers (that I know of) will erase cookies at the worst times.

While we're bitching and moaning, may I add that the stupidest thing browsers do is to use the same backspace key to both erase a character and go to the previous page. It annoys me to no end when I want to erase a typo and the stupid thing goes to the previous page erasing the whole message.

Joe

While we're bitching and moaning, may I add that the stupidest thing browsers do is to use the same backspace key to both erase a character and go to the previous page. It annoys me to no end when I want to erase a typo and the stupid thing goes to the previous page erasing the whole message.

Joe

+1 ugh i hate that

+2

So cookie error = pilot error?

Several times I've dumped everything and still this problem crops up occasionally. This even on several occasions when I've gone straight from cache dump to POA. It is the only page I have this problem.

What, is there widespread reader fail here? I said the problem is occasional.

While I understand your frustruation, there's no need to be rude to those trying to help you.

I asked about "any computer" because you said "whether on my computer or on another computer". Your original statement could be interpreted to mean you'd experienced the issue you describe on TWO computers, I was trying to clarify if it was ANY computer (more than two) or if you'd only seen this issue on two computers.

While I understand your frustruation, there's no need to be rude to those trying to help you.
I had a really cool answer for that question which was bound to pop up eventually. Now it doesn't matter.

I asked about "any computer" because you said "whether on my computer or on another computer". Your original statement could be interpreted to mean you'd experienced the issue you describe on TWO computers, I was trying to clarify if it was ANY computer (more than two) or if you'd only seen this issue on two computers.
Does that matter? Anyway, yes, the answer is ANY computer used to post on POA.

I swear, I hate talking to engineers. Certainly an engineer wasn't involved in inventing, say toothpicks.

When not using the "remember me" function, I have found that eventually you will be logged out of POA and have to log in again. Not sure what that exact time is. This may be the issue you are having.

It sounds like some sort of cookie problem. One other thing to check is the computer date and time. If these are off all browsers (that I know of) will erase cookies at the worst times.

Joe

You want annoying? Try being on a Mac, where both the "Back" and "Go to beginning of line" keys are the same.

Command + Left.

Seriously, that makes me mad.

You want annoying? Try being on a Mac, where both the "Back" and "Go to beginning of line" keys are the same.

Command + Left.

Seriously, that makes me mad.
My favorite story like this goes back almost 40 years (Jesus!) to the early 70's. We were making these acquisition systems for medical imagers and had a control box with 3 buttons (Start, Stop, and Reset).

One guy had a program that put on the screen a message that said "Press Stop to continue". I don't remember which button was to exit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Start.

It became a standard comment on interface design until I left that company and moved to California.

One guy had a program that put on the screen a message that said "Press Stop to continue".
He must have continued on to work for Microsoft. Windows.... where you click on "Start" to shut down...

-Skip

I swear, I hate talking to engineers. Certainly an engineer wasn't involved in inventing, say toothpicks.

I had what may be the same problem, which I was able to resolve, but after that comment about engineers, I'll be damned if I will tell you! And I guess you think that tooth picks are whittled one at a time by hill billies and not made on a machine that was designed by an engineer.

I had what may be the same problem, which I was able to resolve, but after that comment about engineers, I'll be damned if I will tell you! And I guess you think that tooth picks are whittled one at a time by hill billies and not made on a machine that was designed by an engineer.
As an artisan I have my own supply of toothpicks, thank you. And after all these years v1.0 continues to work just fine.

Don't blame the likes of me that you feel you must get the long/lat for the grain before you lay the sod.

My favorite story like this goes back almost 40 years (Jesus!) to the early 70's. We were making these acquisition systems for medical imagers and had a control box with 3 buttons (Start, Stop, and Reset).

One guy had a program that put on the screen a message that said "Press Stop to continue". I don't remember which button was to exit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Start.

It became a standard comment on interface design until I left that company and moved to California.
In the late 70s we dared not to exit. It was inevitable that one yahoo did and it shut down the mainframe for 2 colleges and a university.

Sounds like blocked cookies to me. Had similar probs.

If using Firefox go to Tools, Options, Privacy.. then click on "show exceptions". Click over "blocked/allow" to group all the exceptions according to type, then look for the blocked cookie that looks like its related to POA.

For IE.. go to "tools" then "internet options"..."privacy".. then "sites"... click on the "settings" header to group blocked sites, and look for the blocked culprit.

I keep my cookies VERY locked down.. and as a result of that, I occasionally have to allow a few I'd previously blocked.. to get something to work right. But it keeps the machine clean.. and free of malware most of the time.

Back