Anniversary that started it all...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
110 years ago today: Wilbur and Orville Wright made four brief flights at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, with their first powered aircraft.

Didn't Barry declare it some kind of holiday?

(And isn't the State of Ohio up in arms about it?)

Phoooey Otto started flying the good stuff long before those stinkpot pilots did anything useful.:D

I thought about that just the other day. But still have fond thoughts about Gustave Whitehead.

Who thinks the outcome would have been negative had it been in August instead (higher DA)...?

Who thinks the outcome would have been negative had it been in August instead (higher DA)...?

I believe they had already observed the effects of DA on their tension measuring devices on their kite strings and correlated it to temperature.

Well, thanks everyone for commemorating the sixth anniversary of my first solo. Yes, it did start it all for me, and I appreciate it.

It's also the 10th anniversary of my 1st attempt to pass my private pilot checkride. I wanted to do it on the 100th anniversary of Kitty Hawk, but the weather was IFR that day. I had to settle for the day after the 100th anniversary of Kitty Hawk.

According to one documentary, the Wrights did have trouble repeating their success in the Ohio field during the summer and were puzzled by it, not being fully aware of the effect of density altitude.

So, yes, I would say flying in December (it was cold) and at sea level did make a difference.

Attachments

• FirstFlight.jpg
    FirstFlight.jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back