Animation of Lybian Airbus Crash

I missed what actually happened?

1. Approach briefing was ummm less than optimal.
2. Delayed decision to go missed.

Then it seems like they had an out, and the co-pilot took it. They went missed and made it to 600' at that point they should have been out of trouble and chain broken?

What happened at that point? Did they just nose it over and fly it into the ground?

Then it seems like they had an out, and the co-pilot took it. They went missed and made it to 600'

What happened at that point? Did they just nose it over and fly it into the ground?

Yes, very minimal briefing. The approach briefing is how the PF will conduct which approach and to what level of automation he will use. This approach started out as a "managed" approach (the FMGS flying the approach) and then he switched it to a "selected" approach which requires the PF inputs. The PF selected a descent before the FAF and the PNF and RP didn't catch that.

Again, not following procedures. Once TOGA is selected then the miss will be continued.

Yep.

Then it seems like they had an out, and the co-pilot took it. They went missed and made it to 600' at that point they should have been out of trouble and chain broken?

Pretty much. Who knows what was going through the mind of the captain when he took control. He obviously didn't have any form of landing system guidance. Amazing.

Pretty much. Who knows what was going through the mind of the captain when he took control. He obviously didn't have any form of landing system guidance. Amazing.

Sure he did, right in front of him on his ND. It's called "situational awareness" which all 3 of these guys threw out the window well before the approach began.

Sure he did, right in front of him on his ND. It's called "situational awareness" which all 3 of these guys threw out the window well before the approach began.

Hard to imagine what was going on in their heads. Seems the co-pilot had fixed the poor briefing, premature descent and descent below the DH.

Why they got it to 600' and then nosed it in is a little :confused:

Seems if one were below DH, and committed to going missed. They'd keep the VSI up, the airspeed above stall and head for the MAP. :dunno:

I know it's armchair quarterbacking, but it seems to me that going missed broke the chain and they just decided to nose it in :dunno:

Hard to imagine what was going on in their heads. Seems the co-pilot had fixed the poor briefing, premature descent and descent below the DH.

Why they got it to 600' and then nosed it in is a little :confused:

Seems if one were below DH, and committed to going missed. They'd keep the VSI up, the airspeed above stall and head for the MAP. :dunno:

I know it's armchair quarterbacking, but it seems to me that going missed broke the chain and they just decided to nose it in :dunno:

They tried to "salvage" the approach. Same as "gethomeitis" that GA pilots experience and also a professional crew having to explain a go around.

Poor CRM, poor ADM, poor adherence to procedures.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back