"Animal House" turns 30!

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Animal House is having it's 30th Anniversary. They have 6 actors in town on the news this morning. Peter "Boon" Riegert, Karen "Katy" Allen, Stephen "Flounder" Furst, Mark "Neidermeyer" Metcalf, Martha "Babs" Smith and "Otis Day."

Dose guys sure got old. I'm glad I didn't.

http://www.atriptothemovies.com/ind...13&category=Film Festivals and Special Events

No mention that Karen Allen was in the first Indiana Jones (and Starman). Peter Reigert was in "The Sopranos."

You know how Steven Furst got the role? He was delivering pizzas. He put a picture and resume in each pizza box!

Last edited:
They've been playing the Blues Brothers a lot recently, too.

I forgot how funny that final car chase scene was.

Oh, I LOVE Blues Brothers. Probably one of my favorite movies.

They've been playing the Blues Brothers a lot recently, too.

I forgot how funny that final car chase scene was.
Teh big pile up of state trooper cars on the highway, not the CPD ones under the 'L', was filmed about 5 miles from my house in Wauconda on Hwy 12.

Great music too. The band was basically the MGs of Booker T and the MGs plus the horn section from Blood, Sweat and Tears. Lot of classic Stax Records R&B!

I read somewhere a long time ago that the director was having conniptions because Dan Ackroyd insisted on filming at full speed - 110 miles per hour. I don't recall the whole quote now, but it was pretty funny. I can tell some of it is sped up though, in watching the movie.

I read somewhere a long time ago that the director was having conniptions because Dan Ackroyd insisted on filming at full speed - 110 miles per hour. I don't recall the whole quote now, but it was pretty funny. I can tell some of it is sped up though, in watching the movie.

I remember when it was being filmed. The scenes on upper and lower Wacker Drive with the "Chicago Police" cars was at like 15-25MPH. It was sped up.

For a long time many of the prop police cars were parked in a empty lot on Ohio street.

In what other famous scene were the police cars used?

I remember when we'd hear that there was an explosion in Wauconda, etc. We kinda got the idea it wasn't going to be a quiet movie. (They BLEW UP the gas station where Elwood talks to Twiggy but cut it from the movie. You gotta figure Carrie Fisher blew 'em up there, too. One explosion too many, I guess.)

The aforementioned Jane Byrne was mayor. John and Dan met with her. She asked if there was anything they need. They said they wanted to drive a car through the windows in Daley Plaza and couldn't get permission. She asked if they were going restore any damage. They said yes. She ordered the city to let them do it.

There was a rumor that Jake and Elwood were going to show up at Chicagofest with Muddy Waters. They did. I was there.

One of my favorite parts was when Jake and Elwood were about to go off the bridge, threw it into reverse, tipped the car up over backwards and over the guys chasing them, and took off - and then the other car went off the end of the bridge to the strains of Wagner. hahaha!

One of my favorite parts was when Jake and Elwood were about to go off the bridge, threw it into reverse, tipped the car up over backwards and over the guys chasing them, and took off - and then the other car went off the end of the bridge to the strains of Wagner. hahaha!
If I remember correctly that was filmed in Milwaukee

I
The aforementioned Jane Byrne was mayor. John and Dan met with her. She asked if there was anything they need. They said they wanted to drive a car through the windows in Daley Plaza and couldn't get permission. She asked if they were going restore any damage. They said yes. She ordered the city to let them do it.
The guy who was Murph of Murph and the Magic Tones. Was Murphy Dunne. He was a replacement for Paul Schaffer. Paul was not allowed by NBC to be in the movie as he was too busy with TV stuff. Murphy Dunne is the son of the then Cook Country Board President George Dunne. It is also rumored that was part of the deal that got them to be able to leverage Jane Byrne to do those scenes.

The guy who was Murph of Murph and the Magic Tones. Was Murphy Dunne. He was a replacement for Paul Schaffer. Paul was not allowed by NBC to be in the movie as he was too busy with TV stuff. Murphy Dunne is the son of the then Cook Country Board President George Dunne. It is also rumored that was part of the deal that got them to be able to leverage Jane Byrne to do those scenes.

Ahh yes, good ol' fashioned Chicago politics... It even extends to the Blues Brothers. Gotta love it. :D

I hadn't remembered that I TiVo the news o the old box. I saw the original panel.

Pete Reigert said, They filmed it 30 days at the University of Oregon. They had a week for rehearsal but they did that week was read the entire script a few times and get haircuts. 6 of them were invited to attend a real frat party Peter and Karen among them. He said, I guess one of them flirted with the wrong girl and they got beat up pretty bad. Reigert was bloodied and the other guy lost a few teeth, and Karen was hoarse from screaming - right before filming began.

Karen Allen wouldn't talk about the new Indiana Jones but they showed a picture. I think the story is gonna be that Shia LeBouf is her son and - I'll betcha - Indy's!

Ah. You CAN see it here! Pick the reunion from the menu. Also see "Otis Day" do "Shout."
http://wgntv.trb.com/news/local/morningnews/wgntv-worldnow-liveperformance-flash,0,760538.story

Last edited:
I remember when it was being filmed. The scenes on upper and lower Wacker Drive with the "Chicago Police" cars was at like 15-25MPH. It was sped up.

For a long time many of the prop police cars were parked in a empty lot on Ohio street.

In what other famous scene were the police cars used?

I seem to recall something about the French Connection. Either at the same location, or using the same cars. :dunno:

Hill Street Blues. The opening scene was filmed using the Maxwell Street police station as the Hill Street station. The prop cars say "Metro Police" where the real cars say "Chicago Police." Those "Metro Police" cars appeared in a lot of movies.

I think Maxwell Street station was replaced, as was Maxwell Street market. In the Blues Brothers, the Maxwell Street market is where they encounter John Lee Hooker and Aretha Franklin.

When the U of I at Chicago decided they wanted the whole neighborhood they moved (and effectively killed) the Maxwell Street market.

Wasn't that Murph and the Murph Tones not Magic Tones?

Getting back to Animal House! I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!! I remember seeing it my Jr. year in High School and thinking OH YEAH I got to go to College!

Thanks to Adam for pulling back from the thread hijack.

Anyone know the name of the only REAL college mentioned in Animal House? And for extra credit, can you give the context?

Jon
Amherst '87

Thanks to Adam for pulling back from the thread hijack.

Anyone know the name of the only REAL college mentioned in Animal House? And for extra credit, can you give the context?

Jon
Amherst '87

I can't remember, so a wild stab in the dark here, but was it Harvard? I'll pass on the extra credit.

Here's a site with some other interesting trivia bits about the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/trivia

Uhhh, don't they go to Dickinson to "pick up" Fawn Leibowitz, who had sadly died in a tragic kiln accident? I believe that Flounder mentions that he heard Dickinson girls were easy, and Otter tells him to mention, I don't remember what, I think Sartre was one of them, and that he'd be in like Flynn.
-harry

My favorite two lines are "Mind if we dance wit yo dates?" and When they wreck Flounder's brother's Lincoln they say, "Hey, you f*cked up, you trusted us."

Great movie. I was in college at the time and we spent the next two years going to Toga parties and creating general mayhem around campus.

My favorite line:

"They took the bar! They took the whole f***ing bar!"

" 'Cause when the going gets tough.................................................................................................................................................................................the tough get going, ok who's with me? Ahhhhhhh!!!!"

" 'Cause when the going gets tough.................................................................................................................................................................................the tough get going, ok who's with me? Ahhhhhhh!!!!"

"Are you guys playing cards?"

Uhhh, don't they go to Dickinson to "pick up" Fawn Leibowitz, who had sadly died in a tragic kiln accident? I believe that Flounder mentions that he heard Dickinson girls were easy, and Otter tells him to mention, I don't remember what, I think Sartre was one of them, and that he'd be in like Flynn.
-harry

Good answer, and almost correct: you did get the context, but not the college.

As I not-so-subtlely hinted, the only real college mentioned on the movie was Amherst College. The quote in the above scene by Otter was, " I'm Frank Lyman from Amherst. I'm here to see Fawn Liebowitz."

The women's college was Emily Dickinson College, no relation to the real Dickinson College in PA, but a fictional version of Amherst's neighbor Mount Holyoke College. Faber College, the home of the Delta House was based on Dartmouth. Despite the New England origins of the writers, the movie was filmed in Eugene, Oregon, and the Dexter Lake Club really exists.

Huge cheer at the mention of Amherst when it was screened there by annual tradition.

Jon

"The issue here is not whether or not we took a few liberties with our female party guests. We did." ;)

Back