Angry Birds, the Real Life Edition

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
Yesterday morning, I was walking towards the front door of the office building where I work, when something hits me in the back of the head, hard, almost knocking me over. I start looking around, there's no one nearby. Finally, I hear some screeching and I look up into an oak tree, where there are two redtailed hawks watching me and squawking at me. It turns out they have a nearby nest and have taken exception to my being near it, and decided to show their displeasure by one of them flying into the back of my head. I find out that this has happened before, and now I have to go to an occupational health clinic to get the scratches the bird has inflicted cleaned up and a tetanus shot. I had a mild headache and what seemed like the symptoms of a mild concussion for the rest of the morning.

Angry Birds, not just a game anymore.

Redtail hawk? That's a seriously big bird. Maybe three pounds.

Imagine someone throwing a three pound dumbbell at your head. I'm glad you weren't hurt worse.

I'd be afraid to go back to work.

I have a female cardinal around my house that keeps fighting with another female cardinal. The problem is, the second female cardinal is a reflection in my bay window, and the 'match' begins at daybreak - about 90 minutes before I want to actually wake up.

We had a pair of nesting hawks outside our office door a few years back and we all had to come in through the garage. They even blocked off the sidewalk and made people cross the street. As I hiked past the garbage each morning I kept thinking they are only birds....

Cheer up. It could have been an Eagle; then you really would have known you were hit.

You need a slingshot and a pig.

LOL

I have never been attacked by a bird but my dog has. A few years ago, he would suddenly become a moving ground target for an air-to-ground combatant of the aviator kind. We made an assumption that the bird built a nest nearby and was not happy with the perpetrator.
The problem was that the bird was very insistent and aggressive. My dog has zero training in defense against aerial attacks so he was naturally getting discouraged from going outside and playing, sleeping or even doing his necessary business.
Back off, angry bird, this 80-lb creature is NOT a cat, nor is it interested in climbing trees to 30ft to find some tiny eggs! :)
I wish I had had a slingshot and a pig handy that time. :D

article-2315187-197E520F000005DC-387_634x373.jpg

I have a female cardinal around my house that keeps fighting with another female cardinal. The problem is, the second female cardinal is a reflection in my bay window, and the 'match' begins at daybreak - about 90 minutes before I want to actually wake up.

A Cardinal huh? You mean like the state bird of Ohio?????

I had to beat Michael to this one!!!!

Birds think reflections are other birds, wherever they're from. That's why you put a mirror in a parrot's cage, it thinks it has company. My iguana used to get into those big fights with the toaster...

Crows are really bad where I work - we have mirrored windows starting at ground level and on one side of the building there are a lot of trees that get reflected. Crows sit in the trees, see other crows staring back at them, and get all pecky and stuff. They'll attack their reflections for 20-30 minutes at a time from ground level. They'll walk over, then peck and kick and smack the windows with their wings, then back up and start all over again. You can stand right up against the glass and watch because they can't see through it.

Birds think reflections are other birds, wherever they're from. That's why you put a mirror in a parrot's cage, it thinks it has company. My iguana used to get into those big fights with the toaster...

Our Pekinese used to stalk herself in the closet mirror doors, all the time. She would stalk around, the work up her create and run right at that "other" dog, get scared and retreat. We used to laugh ourselves horse watching her.

Back