Angiogram with no intervention and BasicMed

A

Anonymous

I had an angiogram in May that confirmed that my previously placed stent is still open and that I have no new issues with any narrowing of any of my coronary arteries. I have been flying under BasicMed for a few years now after letting my previous 3rd Class special issuance medical expire. Would an angiogram be considered nothing more than a diagnostic test in this case, or would it be considered "coronary heart disease that has required treatment" which would require a new special issuance to continue to fly under BasicMed? It's my believe that it doesn't effect my BasicMed status, but I have made enough faulty assumptions in the past to know that I'm not always correct.

Was your procedure considered one of the following? My uninformed opinion is no. I'm assuming you had an original SI years ago for the stent in the first place.

A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
1. Myocardial infarction.
2. Coronary heart disease that has required treatment.
3. Cardiac valve replacement.
4. Heart replacement.

Yes, I successfully attained an SI after the stent was placed and then later switched to BasicMed. I have not needed any further intervention other than taking lisinopril and metoprolol, which was as previously reported on my medxpress the last time that I did an FAA medical. While I definitely have not had any new myocardial infarctions, valve replacements, or a heart transplant, the part I'm not 100% sure about is whether or not an angiogram by itself (with no other intervention such as a new stent placed) is considered treatment in the "coronary heart disease that has required treatment" category. To me it seems diagnostic in nature if nothing else is done while they are "in there," but I want to be sure as my airplane is coming out of the annual from hell soon (finally!).

I'd ask your doctor's opinion. I agree that if if the angiogram was done for diagnostic reasons that is it not "requiring treatment". If I get evaluated for cancer and it's negative, I don't go into a cancer protocol, right? But that's just the opinion of Some Guy On The Internet. I've asked my doctor about things that aren't on the basicmed list of disqualifying conditions and he was impressed that I wanted to understand my situation better.

If the angiogram was done to clear a blockage, that's a different story. I also didn't hear you say that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back