Anger directed at drug abusers

Which is shocking in that we both visit the ER on a regular basis in our duties with the EMS and know this doctor from many of those instances. I agree with whomever said it; probably a company policy and not a law. It's common for people to use the wrong term (especially when the mind is focused on other things.) so I understand that - but it's still an important distinction.

It's crazy that 15' away from the patient suffering in pain, there is a solution - but our application of higher thought as humans prevents us from actually going over to the shelf and getting it!

It's ironic that, in our attempt to prevent drug abuse, the victims now are thinking of illegal ways to get the drugs they need (for a completely valid use).

It's crazy that 15' away from the patient suffering in pain, there is a solution - but our application of higher thought as humans prevents us from actually going over to the shelf and getting it!
But the "solution" isn't a simple one, and the providers are well aware of that. I understand the patient's logical perception that what's on the shelf fifteen feet away is one, but the doctor has a responsibility to use it with caution, for ethical reasons if nothing else. But there's nothing ethical about lying to the patient just to get them out the door.

But the "solution" isn't a simple one, and the providers are well aware of that. I understand the patient's logical perception that what's on the shelf fifteen feet away is one, but the doctor has a responsibility to use it with caution, for ethical reasons if nothing else. But there's nothing ethical about lying to the patient just to get them out the door.
Absolutely, a friend's daughter had leukemia, she was successfully cured with a bone marrow transplant, but suffered from GVHD. Her doctor prescribed opioids which helped for a while, she was on them for over a year. After a while her pain was getting worse, this doctor finally says to her in a disgusted tone, " you're a drug addict", no more prescriptions, go to rehab. Then he dropped her as a patient. Her mother got her into a rehab that day and it took her over a month to clean up.

...but the doctor has a responsibility to use it with caution, for ethical reasons if nothing else.

Caution, yes. Withholding from a patient in great pain who has an obvious need? No.

Doesn’t the doctor also have an ethical responsibility to relieve his patient’s pain and suffering?

Which is greater, the physician’s direct responsibility to his patient, or a somewhat vague responsibility to society as a whole to address the larger problem of drug abuse?

Caution, yes. Withholding from a patient in great pain who has an obvious need? No.
To be fair, the ER doc didn't withhold anything, he gave the drugs, just not as far in the future as the patient wanted. He may have anticipated that she'd see another physician, who'd be following her closely, before that ran out.

It's ironic that, in our attempt to prevent drug abuse, the victims now are thinking of illegal ways to get the drugs they need (for a completely valid use).
How is your wife doing? Any luck finding an Ortho to treat her?

Doesn’t the doctor also have an ethical responsibility to relieve his patient’s pain and suffering?

Which is greater, the physician’s direct responsibility to his patient, or a somewhat vague responsibility to society as a whole to address the larger problem of drug abuse?
It is a tightrope that providers have to walk. Yes, we want to alleviate pain, and yet, we do not want to contribute to the initiation of an addiction. However, enter emotionally derived regulations and blanket PI suits and the decision path on when, what, and for how long do I write an opioid prescription becomes something much less than black or white.

Which is greater, the physician’s directresponsibility to his patient, or a somewhat vague responsibility to society as a whole to address the larger problem of drug abuse?
The responsibility to the patient is EXACTLY what I’m talking about, and the doctor is usually the better one to evaluate the risks and benefits of any course of action for the patient’s well being. The doc also has a responsibility to be honest to the patient, and if all facts about this interaction are true he failed at that.

How is your wife doing? Any luck finding an Ortho to treat her?
Perhaps roughest week of our lives, thanks for asking.
By not moving the limb, acetominophen, 500# of ice, lidocaine patches, and some fentanyl I got from the guy in trenchcoat in the alley, she made it through. Finally sleeping 4-5 hours at night.
Ortho on Tuesday is best we could do. There is another ortho everyone around here calls The Butcher, we decided to wait, tyvm.

Which is shocking in that we both visit the ER on a regular basis in our duties with the EMS and know this doctor from many of those instances. I agree with whomever said it; probably a company policy and not a law. It's common for people to use the wrong term (especially when the mind is focused on other things.) so I understand that - but it's still an important distinction.

So what was the Dx on the fractures?

Back