Angels in the clouds (Gratuitous Michigan airshow pics Pt. II)

T Bone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
T Bone
Some time back, some of you may recall I posted some pics from Selfridge ANG Base's bi-annual air show. (Side Note, the base is named after the first passanger killed in an airplane crash, Lt Thomas E. Selfridge, who was the first military officer to pilot an engine-driven aircraft and the first to meet his death in powered flight. At the time of his death, he was on a demonstration flight with Orville Wright).

You may remember the pics were not the greatest. While I'm no ace photog, and have only a limited digital camera, I usually get some pretty good shots when the Wx. cooperates. Not to be this day, as evidenced by pics of Jim LeRoy's famous Bulldog Special, performing aerobatics in IMC in my last post.

This time, we have Blue Angels pics, from what I think is their "flat" show (for those who've not seen their documentary, they have a "high". "Low" and "flat" show, depending on the weather of the day).

First up was Fat Albert, their C130 support ship, launching with JATO, at the end of the burn here, it really climbs steep for a short bit with those rockets!

standard.jpg

Second pass by Fat Albert, showing a bit of rain that got on my lens :p

standard.jpg

F18's launched, gear coming up, and we're off.

standard.jpg

Here, the boys seem to be confused as to which way is up.... maybe it's all that gray :D

standard.jpg

Coming out of the haze, interesting to see the two trailing a bit obscured...

standard.jpg

And here, it seems maybe the two above are just at the bottom of the haze layer....

standard.jpg

More haze for the two ship

standard.jpg

Check the symmetry in this pass....

standard.jpg

The two solo ships did numerous passes at show center. Amazing how difficult is was to catch both in frame with my limited camera, this was the best I got (a bit blurred, auto focus only may be to blame~or not :rolleyes: )

standard.jpg

And, one more pass near the end of the show, as the skies began to clear....

standard.jpg

Hope you find something in here worth seeing, I promise better warbirds pics next month from the Yankee Air Force's Thunder Over Michigan (lots of WWII bombers, including THE B29, TWO B24's and SIX B17's among many other planes). Oh, and if you like the post, feel free to hit the rep button (hey, I've not seen anyone openly solicit for rep in awhile....:D ).

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
T Bone:

Great pix, thanks for posting them! I have the Angels screen saver on my computer at work, and I always like to watch people come in to my office and stop mid-sentence to watch the slides. Might as well fess up, I also have their F/A-18 pointer on my computer too. Afterburn and all. Yup, I'm hooked.
EH

I really enjoyed, thanks!
Looks from the clothing the wx was pretty nasty. There's some devoteds in aviation!

Steve said:
Good shots, T B. I like the first one of Fat Albert, what a ride that must be.

The BAs always put on a good show, (although I did see them cut one short at DAY many years ago due to haze, and the fact that the weekend before one wrecked in Buffalo. I'm sure they were still a little rattled by that.)

On a side note, FiFi won't be at OSH next week due to extensive corrosion found on the wing spar when they pulled an engine a few weeks ago. I hope it's back together in time for the Michigan show. Seeing all those old birds together will be quite a memorable event.
Bummer! She won't make it here either, I just checked the updated list. On the plus side, we're now up to EIGHT B17's along with six B25's and six Mustangs plus many more...

Terry, are you crazy? That's a great shot! In fact, that's the one I missed, I shot "air" while the camera was focussing, and when I got it right, they'd already leveled off :rofl: .

Back