AngelMap - a tool for Angel Flight pilots

Phil Verghese

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Phil Verghese
I'm an Angel Flight pilot, and one thing I have wanted was a way to see the list of available missions plotted on a map. I wanted to play around with Ruby on Rails and Google Maps anyway so I put together a web application I call AngelMap that does just that. It gets a feed of available missions from Angel Flight missions and plots them on a Google Map.

Please check it out and let me know what you think: http://angelmap.pfactor.com.

Currently only Angel Flight Flight West, Central and Southeast provide the available mission data in an electronic format that I can use for AngelMap. I'm working on getting the electronic feeds from the other Angel Flight organizations. Unfortunately each group is run independently, so there is no single centralized list of available Angel Flight missions.

Phil
www.pfactor.com

Neat site. How often do you update the map or is it done realtime?
Thanks.

It's updated automatically once each day. There's a little note that tells you when the last update was right above the map.

Nice work Phil. After I finish my IR those missions look real fun.

Very cool. I've been curious to get involved with Angel Flight, but I don't have the money to rent a plane long enough to get checked out, let alone fly one of those flights, unfortunately.

Great tool, Phil! Thanks! I've been looking for something like that!

I don't see a link to it on Angel Flight Central's page. Is it okay if I send them a note asking them to mention it there?

Good job. Looks like a great new site. I'll have to check it out every once in a while.

Any chance of getting AF of Georgia on there as well since that is the organization I work with?

Great tool, Phil! Thanks! I've been looking for something like that!

I don't see a link to it on Angel Flight Central's page. Is it okay if I send them a note asking them to mention it there?
Sure, Grant. Feel free to let them know. Glad you find it useful!

Phil
www.pfactor.com

Good job. Looks like a great new site. I'll have to check it out every once in a while.

Any chance of getting AF of Georgia on there as well since that is the organization I work with?

I'm working on getting all the Angel Flight organizations on there. Unfortunately, each Angel Flight group is independent so I've got to find the right technical contact in each organization to get an electronic feed of available missions.

I have sent messages to each organization listed as being part of the Air Charity Network. As soon as I'm able to make the right contacts and get the electronic feeds of available missions, I'll add them to AngelMap.

If anyone can help me get in touch with the right people to get an electronic feed of missions (similar to this one from Angel Flight West http://afids.angelflightwest.org/missions_available_rss.asp) please let me know.

Phil
www.pfactor.com

Nice job, Phil... only suggestion I have is showing the mission details in the bubble when you hover over a green or red wing on the map. I'm bookmarking this and letting Beth at Angel Flight SC know about it.

Back