Angelina County TX Citation crash

Country Flier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
CFL
I guess it lost it's brakes on landing:

One minor injury was reported.

“In talking to the pilot, he said that when he landed the anti-lock brakes failed on the jet and so he cut them off and cut them back on, and when he did he had no brakes at all,” Letney said.

I guess I have a current example of why you should follow the manufacturers instructions for a brake failure rather than making something up at the time when I teach it this week. ;)

Braking effectiveness likely would have improved if the flaps were retracted.

More than likely it was just hydroplaning, and retracting flaps wouldn’t have helped.
More weight on the wheels helps when hydroplaning. Would it have helped enough? We'll never know.

Last edited:
More weight on the wheels helps when hydroplaning. Would hit have helped enough? We'll never know.
The dynamics of hydroplaning are such that we’re about 99% sure.

The 1% “not sure” is because I wasn’t in the airplane when it happened, so I don’t know for sure that it was hydroplaning.

Hydroplaning is more related to tire pressure and speed. More of the first and less of the second is best.

If the FlightAware track is correct, he was giving up a thousand feet of pavement landing on the shorter runway.

I was flying a C-550 and the brakes quit working on nice dry runway thousands of feet long, there is an emergency air brake system on the pilots side that pressurizes system with air bypassing all of the ABS systems. I was told I wasn't stepping on the brakes right, about punched my boss on that one as I only had 1000 hours in the plane. Copilot also tried their brakes, nothing. Naturally they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Braking effectiveness likely would have improved if the flaps were retracted.
Braking effectiveness would have been improved if he had just turned off the friggin' anti-skid.

It would be interesting to know where the pilot did his recurrent training.

Classic anti-skid failure in the Citation 500 series is brakes are hard upon application with no braking action. The procedure they taught at LOFT when I last went through is turn off the anti-skid and apply manual braking. If that doesn't work, THEN you apply the emergency air brake.

As MauleSkinner said, this is why you don't make up your own emergency procedures. If the pilot had simply turned off the anti-skid switch when he realized he had a problem braking, there is a very good chance he would have been able to stop just fine. BUT, by cycling the switch off and then back on, he effectively deactivated his brakes. The system goes through a self test phase when you turn it on and during that period, you have no brakes.

I was flying a C-550 and the brakes quit working on nice dry runway thousands of feet long, there is an emergency air brake system on the pilots side that pressurizes system with air bypassing all of the ABS systems. I was told I wasn't stepping on the brakes right, about punched my boss on that one as I only had 1000 hours in the plane. Copilot also tried their brakes, nothing. Naturally they couldn't find anything wrong with it.
It's been a couple of years since I went through the schoolhouse, so I don't recall if it is related to wet runway, but there are some situations in the 550 where the anti-skid basically over-reacts and fights itself. The symptom is rock hard brakes and no braking action. But, since the system is technically 'working' you don't get any annunciator light.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. What about retracting flaps in a kingair is an old wives tale?

It was something a lot of people did in the field trying to get more braking action, but wasn't an approved maneuver nor taught at the schoolhouse. I never noticed much of a difference with the flaps up or down on landing performance.

Back