Angel flight

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
I really done it now. Just signed up for Angel Flight South Central as a pilot - I need to do some kind of conference call and need to send them a proof a insurance. I imagine it will be official on monday. Hooray!

Thanks Randy! I'm pretty excited - it's alot more responsibility than flying around dogs, but in a good way. Atleast they can't tell me no because of my hippy hair anymore :rofl::rofl:

Funny enough, the hippie hair never seemed to bug them with me. :)

Yes but you look like White Jesus. I looked like some ruffian who got yanked off the streets.

What you'll get now from your passengers is "Geez, he doesn't even look old enough to drive!"

I just did the first of my four planned Canadian veterinarian trips the past two days (about 15 hours in 2 days). This is the third year I've done these trips. The first year, it was "Geez, he looks like a baby. Can he really fly?"

This year: "You still look like a baby. But at least we think you can fly."

David as the President of Angel Flight East www.angleflighteast.org I can tell you that you will never have a more rewarding flight than those that you do for AFE. The gift that you will give to those in need is immesurable. Good on you!

David as the President of Angel Flight East www.angleflighteast.org I can tell you that you will never have a more rewarding flight than those that you do for AFE. The gift that you will give to those in need is immesurable. Good on you!

Except for the flights you do to save puppies. ;)

Adam,

I would like to join your group. I was seriously injured during a routine surgery and it was a miracle that I survived. I would like to help others who are not as fortunate as I.

Adam,

I would like to join your group. I was seriously injured during a routine surgery and it was a miracle that I survived. I would like to help others who are not as fortunate as I.

Ryan, Thank you we would LOVE to have you as part of Angel Flight East. See the PM that I sent to you.

That seems like a really worthwhile thing to do. Please let us know about your first mission. I've been considering doing it myself.

That seems like a really worthwhile thing to do. Please let us know about your first mission. I've been considering doing it myself.

It is a very worthwhile thing to do. For various reasons, I've chosen to focus my charitable flying on animal welfare, however I have done angel flights before and found them to be very rewarding.

Even if you only do one mission a year, that's an important mission to the person you're flying.

:yeahthat:

Teds right, Public Benefit flying what ever the kind is a very important to those are the recipient of that flight...........regardless of the number of legs they have.

The orientations are sunday evenings at 8, so I sent them a copy of my insurance today and I will be an Angel Flight pilot by NEXT Monday! LOL

I just went with the president of Angel Flight West (wing leader) to a fly-in once I joined. It was $50 to join, and I don't have enough hours, but I helped them with the meeting and got introduced to 2 local command pilots who need / like mission assistants. Hoping to fly my first mission soon and assist my first patient.

Congrats David!

Also, David, there was a TRACON speaker and a Wounded Warrior speaker at my Angel Flight fly-in. They talked about using the call sign "Angel Flight" when you get flight following. They said one day there was a FedEx (heavy) and a small Cessna (Angel Flight) when they needed to keep I think three or more miles (minutes?) separation one day. Guess who they sent on a go-around???? ATC appreciates everything Angel Flight does and some pilots told me they get extra special treatment once they utter the magic words.

Funny, as soon as you posted this they emailed me to see if I could do hospital outreach. Not sure what that is. Let us know when you sign up for your first mission.

Thanks yall

Funny, as soon as you posted this they
emailed me to see if I could do hospital outreach. Not sure what that is. Let us know when you sign up for your first mission.

I will most likely do atleast one flight as a co-pilot before I go off on my own, just to get the swing of things.

Thanks yall

I will most likely do atleast one flight as a co-pilot before I go off on my own, just to get the swing of things.

That was my plan, too. But since I need 250 hours I will probably do a lot more than one co-pilot flight before my day comes. They told me even if I could only afford one mission per year as a command pilot they still welcome my participation. I think I can do that, hopefully more.

You can, but it's pretty simple. Not much of a swing of things to learn. Pick people up, drop people off. Throw in a little paperwork.

I'm signed up now too. :) Good job David posting about this and spurring us on to consider it as well!

Does Angel Flight use non pilots during any flights? I would love to do this before I get my PPL.

Ryan, Thank you we would LOVE to have you as part of Angel Flight East. See the PM that I sent to you.

I'd like to help out too if I can. I don't quite have the hours yet (I have 250 and IR) but if I can assist in any other way shoot me a PM. I am in Raleigh, NC.

Random question - if I am signed on as a pilot, and I receive donations from friends/family to pay for the cost of say, a rented piper cherokee, can I pass the tax deduction on to them? How about if the money does not go through me, but they pay the flying club I rented the plane from on my behalf.

Does Angel Flight use non pilots during any flights? I would love to do this before I get my PPL.

I do not know about Angel Flights, but I remember once talking with a student pilot who had not yet soloed. He wanted a way to fly that was useful. He learned about Animal Rescue Flights and got his instructor involved. Together, they made some rescue flights and then after he got to solo, he made some more. Eventually, he got more and more involved in animal rescues, got several licenses and ratings, formed his own charitable organization, acquired a couple of airplanes, and became a pretty successful pilot. His name is Ted Dupuis. You could probably follow his fine example.

You may want to contact Julia at AnimalRescueFlights.org, too. I see she is trying to set up a flight this weekend and she has no volunteers listed: KAXH-5C1-KMAF-KLRU-KDVT

[edit] Sorry, I thought you are in Texas. She had a flight originating in Sarasota, FL, but cancelled it.[/edit]

Last edited:
Thank you Aunt Peggy. I will contact her. I also will try to contact Angle Flight. I would love to do both.

Random question - if I am signed on as a pilot, and I receive donations from friends/family to pay for the cost of say, a rented piper cherokee, can I pass the tax deduction on to them? How about if the money does not go through me, but they pay the flying club I rented the plane from on my behalf.

Adam can answer better for this for Angel Flight, but anyone who does something for Cloud Nine that reduces the costs of our trip I can give a tax deduction to. Keep in mind that in order to fly without paying your pro rata share you must have a commercial pilot certificate and follow all appropriate regulations.

I do not know about Angel Flights, but I remember once talking with a student pilot who had not yet soloed. He wanted a way to fly that was useful. He learned about Animal Rescue Flights and got his instructor involved. Together, they made some rescue flights and then after he got to solo, he made some more. Eventually, he got more and more involved in animal rescues, got several licenses and ratings, formed his own charitable organization, acquired a couple of airplanes, and became a pretty successful pilot. His name is Ted Dupuis. You could probably follow his fine example.

Timeline was a bit off (I had just gotten my IR when you introduced me to Julia), but otherwise correct. :)

Austin, however, did perform several ARF flight as a student pilot with his instructor. There are no restrictions, and it makes a great way to do a cross-country. You have a true purpose, and it helps to show what aviation can be used for.

ARF, AngelFlight, and Pilots'n'Paws are all great organizations to do charitable flying for. Staring your own is a great deal of work and not for most people, but I highly encourage anyone who's interested in charitable flying to do so.

You may want to contact Julia at AnimalRescueFlights.org, too. I see she is trying to set up a flight this weekend and she has no volunteers listed: KAXH-5C1-KMAF-KLRU-KDVT

[edit] Sorry, I thought you are in Texas. She had a flight originating in Sarasota, FL, but cancelled it.[/edit]

Julia and ARF are great to work with. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Adam can answer better for this for Angel Flight, but anyone who does something for Cloud Nine that reduces the costs of our trip I can give a tax deduction to. Keep in mind that in order to fly without paying your pro rata share you must have a commercial pilot certificate and follow all appropriate regulations.

For some reason I thought there may have been an exception for charitable flights. Just to clarify, a donor who is not flying in the aircraft pays for the plane rental, and I fly the plane on an angel flight.

Sounds like that would work if I had a commercial cert though, better get to work.

Last edited:
For some reason I thought there may have been an exception for charitable flights. Just to clarify, a donor who is not flying in the aircraft pays for the plane rental, and I fly the plane on an angel flight.

I thought the exemption was that people were allowed to deduct that flight time off their taxes even if they weren't a commercial pilot, but maybe I'm wrong.

It depends on the organization. As a non pilot you could probably fly along as an extra Pax . If you are a student you could help wiht certain things but that would really be up to the PIC

I'd like to help out too if I can. I don't quite have the hours yet (I have 250 and IR) but if I can assist in any other way shoot me a PM. I am in Raleigh, NC.

As for the first part Shoot me a PM and I'll give you what you need to know about acting as SIC on a mission. Again whether an SIC is acceptable will unitmaly be up to the PIC on any given mission.

With regard to the second question, well that really depends on a lot. If the family wants the donation to be tax deductible then its going to have to be given to the 501 C-3. It can't go to you or the Club or FBO you rent from. Whether the Angle Flight or similar organization allows the donation to be applied to a specific flight is up to each individual organization. Congress just recently passed a rule directing the FAA to allow for reimbursemnt of charitable flights. Members of the Air Care Alliance ( Umbrella organization for groups like Angel Flight East, Mercy Flight, AFE SOARS etc. are waiting to see what the FAA comes up with. Most public benefit flying organizations are now in the process of setting up their own rules regarding this issue. The way it seems to be metting itself out is that only a very very narrow segment of the public benefit flying pilots are going to be eligible for such reimbursement.

I thought the exemption was that people were allowed to deduct that flight time off their taxes even if they weren't a commercial pilot, but maybe I'm wrong.
When I was flying for ARF, I deducted my expenses from taxes using the receiving or sending rescue organization's charitable certificate. (I forget what the series of numbers and letters are.) You just figure out what your costs were and send a letter to the organization. They reply with a letter stating you gave a charitable donation in kind valued at $xxx.xx. Put that number onto your tax return and increase your refund by about $xxx.xx/3 or $xxx.xx/8, depending upon your tax bracket.

[Edit] Looks like Adam has more current information.[/edit]

Last edited:

Ted my understanding is that if you rent you can deduct the rental, fuel, landing fees etc anything you pay for. If you own you can deduct the fuel and other mission specific out of pockets but you cannot amortize things like tie downs, oil changes your annual etc.

Ted my understanding is that if you rent you can deduct the rental, fuel, landing fees etc anything you pay for. If you own you can deduct the fuel and other mission specific out of pockets but you cannot amortize things like tie downs, oil changes your annual etc.

That was my understanding, as well.

Back