Angel Flight

Are you an Angel Flight pilot?

• Forget about it... too much risk/time/money/whatever.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Chime in... let's see how many Angel Flight pilots we have here, or let us know if you've considered doing it before, or...

You need a "I'd like to, but they have this stupid PIC 250 rule." I'll have my commercial instrument, and STILL not be able to do Angel Flights.

I've been involved with Angel Flight West for 3 years and about 24 flights. Currently serving as Montana WIng Leader. If weather holds up I'm flying a cancer camp mission tomorrow morning, bright & early!

What could be better than doing good with your hobby. This Saturday I'll be taking a doctor to Calexico, CA where he will be treating needy children. Here's pix of my first two.

Last edited:
Troy Whistman said:
Chime in... let's see how many Angel Flight pilots we have here, or let us know if you've considered doing it before, or...

I used to, but they got to picky. They told me I couldn't put their people in the hopper. I told them I rinsed all the chemicals out of the tank, and that it's more comfortable than an airliner seat in there, but they wouldn't listen.

Henning said:
I used to, but they got to picky. They told me I couldn't put their people in the hopper. I told them I rinsed all the chemicals out of the tank, and that it's more comfortable than an airliner seat in there, but they wouldn't listen.
I've never had a passenger complain. Sometimes they are silent wit terror, but at the end it's always "THANK you."

I don't run an Angel Flight. We're a freestanding independent group that co-operates with a few of the AF organizations (Particularly AF-East). :)

Bruce

I still do some AF but very few. Use to do more. I have a plane that is W&B sensitive (Beech Debonair) and I have to set many strong limits of distance to fly and numbers of people. Also I find that the weights of the individuals are quite "Underestimated". I would do more if I had a plane that is not so W&B sensitive. I have worked some flights as a copilot in larger planes and it works out really well. I enjoy it very much and with two pilots it is even more fun.

John J

I sit right seat on Angel Flights but don't yet have the required 300hrs AF East requires to be PIC. I'll do it when I get the hours.

Lifeline Pilots

I've done quite a few missions over the past 9-10 years. I've only had one passenger who was absolutely terrified. He had someone drive to take him home.

All of the others have been appreciative. Some needed the service more than others, but I and the organization did our parts.

I'd recommend it to all!

I've been doing 3-5 flights per year for several years now although prior to the merger I was with AirLifeLine. This Friday I'm taking two kids to Camp Heartland (a fun week for kids with or affected by HIV/Aids) for AF. These missions are a way better excuse to fly than the $200 hamburger run. I and many other AF pilots often take another pilot (or wannabe) along to share the fun and expose them to this kind of flying. If anyone is considering AF the regional office will put you in touch with a mission pilot with room for a co-pilot.

N2212R said:
You need a "I'd like to, but they have this stupid PIC 250 rule." I'll have my commercial instrument, and STILL not be able to do Angel Flights.

You'd think they would lower the total time requirement if you have an advanced rating and/or a lot of recent xc experience as such a pilot is potentially safer on a trip than one who's put in 255 hrs over the last 25 years.

Meanwhile Ed, try to hook up with a qualified AF pilot. I believe that you can use your plane and fly a mission as long as the other pilot has the hours. I'm not sure, but he might have to be PIC though. Even then, if that works insurance wise, you could fly the trip and log the time.

They are trying to pass a good Samaritan bill in Washington that limits liability for pilots flying these kinds of trips. It would be nice if we could all support it.

lancefisher said:
You'd think they would lower the total time requirement if you have an advanced rating and/or a lot of recent xc experience as such a pilot is potentially safer on a trip than one who's put in 255 hrs over the last 25 years.

Meanwhile Ed, try to hook up with a qualified AF pilot. I believe that you can use your plane and fly a mission as long as the other pilot has the hours. I'm not sure, but he might have to be PIC though. Even then, if that works insurance wise, you could fly the trip and log the time.

They won't though. I asked AF West that exact question. I have my comm/IA and am flying for AF South Central. Made no difference to them, they still required 300 hrs and a mission orientation before giving command pilot status.
The funny part is their website says otherwise. Here is the link.
Don

http://www.angelflight.org/command_pilot_requirements.html

I fill in for a buddy that is a regular Angle Flight dude, on his Mooney and Cherokee Six when I am not doing air ambulance for my company.

Brent Bradford

N2212R said:

Not all of them have this rule; move to Texas and fly for Angel Flight South Central. They require 200 hours of flying time.

You might also be able to fly as a mission assistant (split fuel cost, and fly with a more experienced pilot)... check to see if that is possible.

I've flown for both Airlifeline and now Angel Flight. It's always been a rewarding experience. And they're always looking for pilots. Most of the regions now have their missions available online so it's easy to see if there's a mission that fits your plans.

I've flown those type of missions on my own, and gladly relinquish my reserved aircraft to facilitate the Angel Flight mission's scheduling when appropriate but, haven't been formally a part of the organization yet myself.

I've been involved with Angel Flight and AirLifeLine for years. I was the New England Regional Coordinator before AirLifeLine disappeared - I'm sorry they're gone. (I know - they "merged" with AF, but the reality is ALL is gone...)

Flying missions for LifeLine Pilots or AF is something I would very much like to get involved with once I have my IR - I'm past the magic 250 PIC mark, but around the Great Lakes, I wouldn't exactly be much use as a VFR-only pilot.

Liz

Troy Whistman said:
Not all of them have this rule; move to Texas and fly for Angel Flight South Central. They require 200 hours of flying time.

You might also be able to fly as a mission assistant (split fuel cost, and fly with a more experienced pilot)... check to see if that is possible.

Who do you contact here in Texas to talk to about doing this?

azure said:
Flying missions for LifeLine Pilots or AF is something I would very much like to get involved with once I have my IR - I'm past the magic 250 PIC mark, but around the Great Lakes, I wouldn't exactly be much use as a VFR-only pilot.

Liz
Liz, an IR really helps, but about 8% of our pilots are VFR only....

Don Jones said:
Here is the link to the application page for South Central. You can sign up online and costs nada. If you want to talk to someone call Shireen at (972) 458-0700.
Tell her I said Hi.
Don

http://afids.angelflightsc.org/membership_application.asp

Be sure to say hi to Beth, too, from Troy. If any of you North Texas pilots go to Addison, go upstairs (next to Million Air at the north end of the field) and visit them... nice group coordinating efforts.

Attached is a picture of my flight (with pilot and plane owner Terry Davis, pictured on the right) with Norm, a patient enroute from Denton TX to San Antonio. It was IFR, so I went along as co-pilot. Terry flew the same route with Norm the following Friday on his first SOLO IFR flight--way to go Terry!

Also attached is a screen shot from Flight Explorer from just now--10 Angel Flights in the air as we speak...

Thought about it, wanted to do it, now over 250PIC, but my wife doesn't fly and hardly sees me on weekdays. She argued against me doing it as I could only do it weekends and that would reduce our only "quality" time. Working on her slowly to bring her around.

bstratt said:
Thought about it, wanted to do it, now over 250PIC, but my wife doesn't fly and hardly sees me on weekdays. She argued against me doing it as I could only do it weekends and that would reduce our only "quality" time. Working on her slowly to bring her around.

When do you "normally" fly that it doesn't interfere with her weekend QT?

About once a month for a $100 hamburger (unless I can talk her into coming along like our last trip for first visit with the first grandchild). My main task is to convince her this would be an occasional thing and not an excuse to fly every weekend (she knows how I'm always looking for an excuse!)! Like I said, I think I'll get her there but I need to move slowly.

bstratt said:

Depending on the airplane's capacity and the passenger(s) weight, you could bring your wife along on a trip as a Mission Assistant. If there is a Saturday or Sunday trip that is somewhere you want to go, you can deadhead one way, and do the trip the other, and spend the weekend as a bonus. You might be able to write off the whole trip + lodging & meals.

B J Harris
N7895W

Last edited:
Barry, you may not need to stress over it too much - around here at least there are hardly any weekend flights.

jkaduk said:
What could be better than doing good with your hobby. This Saturday I'll be taking a doctor to Calexico, CA where he will be treating needy children. Here's pix of my first two.

Have you been to calexico before?? That is the worst runway i have ever seen. I refuse to go there again. It was pure luck i didnt have a prop strike last time there.
Be carefull.

Michael

N2212R said:

Ed, I can't speak specifically to your local Angel Flight group, but some (most?) regional Angel Flight organizations drop the minimum hours requirement completely if you have a commercial certificate.

angelflight west wants 300 hours....thatll take me another year.

Michael said:
angelflight west wants 300 hours....thatll take me another year.
When I did Mission Orientations for AngelFlight West, some of the "newer" pilots did a better job of flying than some of the "more experienced" ones.

If they want to insist on an experience level, I'd recommend at least 25 hours of x-c rather than 1 hour experience done 300 times.

Links to all Angel Flight Groups are on my website:
http://www.aviline.com/misc.html

Last edited:
Silicon Rallye said:
When I did Mission Orientations for AngelFlight West, some of the "newer" pilots did a better job of flying than some of the "more experienced" ones.

If they want to insist on an experience level, I'd recommend at least 25 hours of x-c rather than 1 hour experience done 300 times.

Links to all Angel Flight Groups are on my website:
http://www.aviline.com/misc.html

Your point brings up an age old problem. Everyone seems to base things on flight hours. As you point out experience is a lot of different factors. If I never do cross wind, instrument, night, ect but get lots of hours does that make us a good pilot?

Don Jones said:
They won't though. I asked AF West that exact question. I have my comm/IA and am flying for AF South Central. Made no difference to them, they still required 300 hrs and a mission orientation before giving command pilot status.
The funny part is their website says otherwise. Here is the link.
Don

http://www.angelflight.org/command_pilot_requirements.html

Don & others,

The web site is correct, i.e. if you have Commercial rating, their is no additional 300 hr. PIC requirement for Angel Flight West...just checked with the "big dog". Apparently there is some confusion and AFW will take additional steps to be sure that Wing Leadership teams are in synch with the requirements. The orientation is procedural, not a flight test, and is inteded to aquaint new command pilots with the system, procedures and work flow associated with a mission. I hope that you'll again contact your AFW Wing and become invovled with the organization. As has been pointed out, requirements vary from region to region and I can only help with AF West.

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
David, I hope they get their act together. I called the AF West office, not one of the wings, I talked first to Cheri Cimirriusti on the phone. I also e-mailed the office some time later and Erin Olsen came back with the same response. I should have called the big dog as well. I could have been flying for them as well for over a year and a half now.
Don

Sorry to hear that Don. I'm glad the issue came up on the post and we could get some clarification as it certainly sounds that you're not the only one confused by the requirement. Thanks for your contributions to AF in the South Central region. Please let me know if you have any issues getting going with AFW.

David

Angel Flight East has an adamant 300 hour policy, at least that is my understanding. I am in the same boat as Adam Z, waiting to get there. I am at 270 plus now, so soon. My next flying goal is 300 so that I can do Angelflight. Sometimes, it is hard to justify that $100 per hour for the plane just to go cut holes in the clouds. I figure Angelflight will take care of any justification that I will ever need. Plus, it will take me to airports that I might not otherwise go to.

Anyone on the board with Angel Flight East? What sort of missions, distance wise, are you all doing?

Jim G

Jim, When I sat Right seat with by buddy on AF for AFeast We did KOLM to KBOS and KLOM to KBED. We just missed getting a flight to Pittsburgh. The flight to KBOS was a hoot. We were in a Seneca II put behind a 767. WOW! funniest thing was when Boston Approach asked if we had traffic in sight. Yeah!!! It was like flying behind the Empire state building with Wings. Glad it was VFR b/c we could stay high on the ILS to avoid his wake turbulence.

Back