Angel Flight typical airplane

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I have had to cancel two Angel Flight missions because of weather. The first one was because of 80mph winds and the second because of freezing fog and low ceilings. The return/onward flights in both cases were from two different pilots but both had Turbine-powered Meridians (PA-46-500TP).

I don't know too many private owners (i.e. zero) who fly such airplanes. Is that level of airplane really a normal demographic for Angel Flight?

Last edited:
Not that I'm aware of, but God love 'em for doing charity flights in said aircraft!

How many P-n-P critters could they move in one of those?

Nice to know there are still nice people flying around out there.

FZFG and 80mph surface winds would probably take out a paid flight in a PC12, legally the FZFG would take it out, winds of 80mph at the airport may be legal (as long as they aren't tailwinds), but that ain't prudent.

In the above conditions, it's not a issue of choosing the right plane, it's choosing the right day.

I had to cancel one on Friday for similar reasons. It was a BE-33. From what I've seen, most of the pilots are in piston singles.

FZFG and 80mph surface winds would probably take out a paid flight in a PC12, legally the FZFG would take it out, winds of 80mph at the airport may be legal (as long as they aren't tailwinds), but that ain't prudent.

In the above conditions, it's not a issue of choosing the right plane, it's choosing the right day.

I am pretty sure the Meridians would cancel too, just surprised that both my flights were paired with Meridians. I am a new Angel Flight pilot so was wondering if this is normal.

I fly angel flights in a Comanche 250. Most of the other pilots I have met are running the usual piston singles (archers, arrows, bonanzas... only one Cessna so far - a 206, and one baron. )

I've wondered the same thing as OP since I fly a Grumman Tiger and have considered getting involved in Angel Flight. There is a wonderful article in this morning's Spokesman Review (Spokane, Washington's only paper and available on line) about Angel Flights. The pilot featured flys a P210 and the article mentions several other types.

Don't know which Angel Flight chapter you belong to, but I think most of them have fairly decent websites, where you can check the equipment flown by all member pilots.
They also include the missions flown by each pilot. So what you can do is find the most active pilots and see what they fly. My own experience is that there are lots of Cherokee 140 and C-172 class airplanes flying quite a bit. Needless to say, during icing season in some parts of the country (or high winds or hard IFR, as in your OP) you see fewer of the bottom feeders and more of the high end birds.

I have had to cancel two Angel Flight missions because of weather. The first one was because of 80mph winds and the second because of freezing fog and low ceilings. The return/onward flights in both cases were from two different pilots but both had Turbine-powered Meridians (PA-46-500TP).

I don't know too many private owners (i.e. zero) who fly such airplanes. Is that level of airplane really a normal demographic for Angel Flight?
Most folks seem to have 4-6 seat singles or light twins, but there are some turbo prop folks who volunteer here and there.

And then there is me in a Twin Beech.

In other words, there really isn't a standard.

It seems that (at least at AF Mid-Atlantic), there us usually someone who steps up when the rest of us piston folks say 'no-way' to the weather. I've always assumed they were flying TPs or jets, but don't know for sure.

AF does make it clear to the pax that travel is subject to weather and the flights don't have the same dispatch reliability that an airline would.

I've never felt pressured to do anything I was uncomfortable with.

I've wondered the same thing as OP since I fly a Grumman Tiger and have considered getting involved in Angel Flight. There is a wonderful article in this morning's Spokesman Review (Spokane, Washington's only paper and available on line) about Angel Flights. The pilot featured flys a P210 and the article mentions several other types.

P210 is a proper aircraft, especially in the right hands.

I've never felt pressured to do anything I was uncomfortable with.

+1

In fact, I have had the mission coordinator call me to verify I had reviewed the weather and ask if I wanted to cancel due to the forecast.

They are very serious about not pushing anyone to fly if they are uncomfortable for any reason.

Yup. I don't feel pressured to fly, but I do feel bad having to cancel even though I know the passengers are well aware of the issues with GA. The weather here is stuck in a low, gray rut. I don't think I have ever seen so many consecutive days in Nevada like this and I have been here for almost 45 years.

The requirement for angel flight NE that I sadly have trouble meeting half the time is the 12 hours in preceding 90 days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The requirement for angel flight NE that I sadly have trouble meeting half the time is the 12 hours in preceding 90 days...

If you're flying in the NE in the winter, 12hrs in 90 days is nothing, you gotta be on your A game for winter ops around here, double so in a non FIKI.

I wonder what percentage of GA pilots in New England manage to fly that much in the winter...

I wonder what percentage of GA pilots in New England manage to fly that much in the winter...

Just shy of 30hrs last month

And you don't fly for a living and have a full time job/family?

12 hrs/90 days works out to just 4 hrs/month, or an hour a week. Anything less than that would be rusty at best, and dangerous at worst, IMO. I hope you'd agree that Angel Flight patients and pax deserve better.

Never said they didn't. But it rules me out in winter months...

We don't have the 12/90 rule in AF West, but I am right on the edge of that because my annual was in Oct/Nov and it has been unflyable weather for weeks here. I have about 12/90, 50/180, 150/365 right now.

And you don't fly for a living and have a full time job/family?

Pro pilot, so yeah it's not 100% comparable with a hobby guy, but the NE ain't forgiving wx wise.

So, pro pilots weren't within the scope of my comment... I hope as a pro you're flying at least that much....!

My typical flight leg, at 180kts, within New England, is an hour or less. I'm not going to fly circles to build time without anywhere I want to go....

So, pro pilots weren't within the scope of my comment... I hope as a pro you're flying at least that much....!

My typical flight leg, at 180kts, within New England, is an hour or less. I'm not going to fly circles to build time without anywhere I want to go....

I generally have a fixed spot I fly to weekly whenever my hours/month get too low. If the weather is too low or icy (non-FIKI), you just wait for one decent day, or at least a time window to do it. This keeps you current and proficient not just for Angel Flight, but also for your loved ones and friends if a flight suddenly comes up. It's also good for your plane (if you own).

The guys with big planes have big expenses...find an angel flight that's going your way (or the way you wanna go) and bam! Instant tax write off for dinner, golf, etc....

I've flown quite a few Angel Flights, and see mostly piston singles, but mostly slightly fancier than my 172. On the AFNE Facebook page, back when I used to use Facebook, they always posted pictures of Jets and Turbo Props and almost never the smaller stuff. Seems like they didn't want the light single image, it didn't make me feel particularly valued by the organisation.

Seems like they didn't want the light single image, it didn't make me feel particularly valued by the organisation.

Pretty much how I feel. Locally, my Dakota is on the lower end of the AF fleet it seems. A few Skylanes and Saratogas, then it moves up to SR22s and bigger. Just looking at AF West:

King Air 90, SR22, C210T, C414, Eclipse, BA36, C172, PA32, Dakota (me), C182, C172RG, Baron, Meridian, M20, DA40.

The majority of what I see on multi leg missions are single engine pistons, mostly 4 seaters. I'm in the southeast; Atlanta. Lots of variety in the models flown.

I've flown missions in an 172, Arrow, Seneca, SR22 and Baron. None of them had deice capability.

In the winter I don't try to pick flights out too far in advance as icing conditions can pop up. I have had to cancel, but I've had more patients cancel due to appointment/condition changes.

This past weekend was the first time I had to land short of the destination; heavy rain and ceiling below minimums. The weather shifted more east than expected. Fortunately it was where he usually got picked up / dropped off, so not bad for family to drive and get him. Not sure why they were not using the airport in his hometown for the prior missions.

The group in Atlanta plans missions around slower GA planes. Many of us in SR22's or other faster planes often do 2 legs as one flight. That is much faster and easier for the patients.

Back