Angel flight today

NC Pilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
NC Pilot
Several weeks ago I volunteered for an Angel Flight that was to happen today from Hilton Head to New Bern, NC (EWN). Last Thursday I called to see what was going on since I had not heard anything. Turns out the link from Jacksonville, FL to Hilton Head had not been filled yet. Took a look at the time and figured that another 1.5 hours of flying an I could cover this, it was a good cause, so I took the entire trip from Craig Municipel (KCRG) to KEWN.

Plan was to arrive at Craig at 10:00 AM to pick up my passengers. Plan was working great. I was flaring the plane over the runway at precisely 10:00 when, as they say, "the best laid planes on mice and men" fall apart. As the nose wheel touched down the plane got real squirelly. Figuring the nose wheel was flat I added a little power and pulled back on the yoke to take the weight off the nose until I could get to the taxiway. Pulled off the runway, shut down and called the tower. Soon a tug came out to haul the plane in. Called the mechanic. He had parts for nothing smaller than a King Air. Called another mechanic. No answer.

At this point I went in to explain the situation to my two waiting Angel Flight passengers and quickly realized there was another problem. The 205 lb passenger had not seen a scale at least 100 pounds ago. I had enough useable weight in the plane, but it was fortunate my friend, who was going to ride along with me, cancelled on this flight. I decided to handle this later...

Back to the tire. I asked the line guys to please pull the plane into the hanger and I would repair the tire. They did, I jacked up the nose, removed the nose wheel, split the rims and removed the tube. Apparently the tube had gotten pinched when installed during the last annual (in April) and chose this moment to let go. One of the line guys offered to drive me to an auto parts place where I purchased a tire patch kit ($3.02) and repaired the tube on the way back to the airport. Once there, the tube, tire and wheel were reunited, pumped up to pressure and checked. Everything good so far.

Loaded my passengers in the plane (no, please don't hold onto the door to pull yourself in please), tossed a 20 to the line guys for their help and headed off after losing about 1.2 hours on the ground. The flight back to NC was uneventful compared to the time on the ground with great visibility and a wicked cross wind.

All in all a satisfying day, 6.8 hours of flying time and some challenges that were overcome. A fun day of aviating. Now to Email Angel Flight to make sure they push to emphisize the importance to telling the truth about weights...

I'm glad you were able to complete the flight. I love the idea behind Angel Flight. People helping people. Good stuff

Now to Email Angel Flight to make sure they push to emphisize the importance to telling the truth about weights...

Nice job keeping the mission going and thanks for all the extra effort to pull off this Angel Flight. Interesting that the weight issue is not one I've run into on any Angel Flight. It has always appeared to me that the pax gave pretty accurate weights. But you're right, a note to AF is in order. They should visit with the pax and get the right numbers in the system. Glad your flight turned out OK.

One of the things I enjoy about aviating, is that there always exists an ADVENTURE! Now you got another story to tell - and THANKS for helping those folks out, too!!

Well done Mark. A lesser man would have given up long before taking care of all you did.

Reading this sentence got my heart rate up. Glad it was just the tire. Sounds like you had a good trip
Ha ha ha. I was wondering if you would think that. Glad my plane has had the SB performed. It will be rechecked during the next annual.

The line guys seemed amazed that an airplane owner would know how to do this work. Must not be many out there who can turn a wrench.:no:

Well your not the only one that happened to Mark. About 2 weeks ago my buddy and I were supposed to fly a Pax for an Angel flight. Now keep in mind Angel Flight East always adds 40lbs to the pax just to give you a small bit of wiggle room. So a 80lb pax is really a 40lb pax ( i think they only add the 40lbs to the total wt not to each pax.

Anyway we were told the pax was a 130lb young lady. Which means she probably weighs about 90-100lbs. So I call the pax family the night before and speak w/grandmom. I confrim here wt and Granny says whoa HO! noooo Ginger is a Big girl real tall shes about 185:eek: ! Always good to check.

Interesting that the weight issue is not one I've run into on any Angel Flight. It has always appeared to me that the pax gave pretty accurate weights.

Mark,

Are you sure they were that heavy? Height has an awful lot to do with weight. When I was at the peak of fitness (probably 5% or so), I had a friend who was about 6-8 inches shorter than me and was very, uh, round. I was rather surprised to find he weighed less than I did!

Mark,

Are you sure they were that heavy? Height has an awful lot to do with weight. When I was at the peak of fitness (probably 5% or so), I had a friend who was about 6-8 inches shorter than me and was very, uh, round. I was rather surprised to find he weighed less than I did!
Without making her stand on a scale, no. But I can say the girth was pretty, um, impressive and the plane sat on the ground and handled like it was pretty heavy.

Back