Angel Flight 2016

RotorDude

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
GliderDude
To complement a parallel thread on animal transport, I wanted to mention my own experience flying Angel Flights this year. I prefer not to get into specifics of the missions, but I flew 6 of them this year, and enjoyed all of them, as in previous years. The patients and companions, as always, were very appreciative and cooperative, all real troopers, even in turbulence or hard IFR/low approaches. All mission legs started IFR, though I canceled and switched to VFR FF when it made sense to get there faster and/or for a smoother ride. Half ended up in IFR approaches in IMC.
I see the IFR part as a perk I get from this activity: it keeps my IMC hours and approaches up, so I can remain current and proficient for my other flights too.
For those of you who haven't done it, I can assure you that it is extremely satisfying on many levels to bring those patients safely and comfortably to their destination. And if you love flying IFR/IMC (as I do), it's a great excuse to fly when the weather isn't perfect. :)

Most rewarding flying I do. RD is right - a pilot needs a mission. Keeps you current. Keeps you challenged with new airports. And helps some people who can really use the help. For a while, their major heavy worries are gone as they're lost in the world of GA. If I get the chance, I let them take the yoke for a bit. I'll always offer to let them at least hold it with the auto pilot on and take their picture to be emailed to them later.

Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Example:
85fafe2758b8a2cbbca4765ebae1acb1.jpg

I really want to do this, but worry that my 98 Archer III isn't really enough plane for the mission. I plan on stepping up to a 6 seat plane in 2020, and will definitely be doing Angel Flight missions then.

What's your UL? My SR22TN was pretty limited, and I couldn't take some of the missions I could with my Bonanza, but there will be some you can make.

You get a daily email showing how many people and total weight, including luggage. You can find more by logging on to website. YOU pick which ones work for you.

If you qualify (I think it's 500 hours and an IR), join now. Find a mission that works and jump in.

My UL is 960. Add my big butt (260) and full fuel (288) and I'm down to 412lbs of passenger/baggage load. Hmm, could work, I guess. Especially if I don't need full fuel.

I was also worried about the relatively cramped cabin.

I just got my IR, and I'm at about 470 PIC (550ish total time). After I get a little more practice in IMC, I may give it a go. Thanks.

Very doable for many missions. As far as cramped cabin, you are a pretty big fella - choose skinny passengers. ;)

Really - you can choose. It gives their height and weight.

As for practice in IMC, you can turn down any mission, even after you accept it. If you're not comfortable, call it off. The patients know this, and I let them know when I first get the mission what the expectation is.

Start with a one person mission and get your feet wet. You'll be less intimidated very quickly.

Glad you're contemplating it. We need more pilots! And it's a great image for GA.

Awesome pics/stories. Very cool way to be using your certs and aircraft.

I really wish I could start doing these, but at 300 hrs total time I have to build a little more before they will let me fly Angel Flight! Hopefully by next year I will be added to the ranks.

For motivation.... Most of my missions are cancer patients. This is not a great pic - out of focus - but was one of my favorite. A few years ago, this was a relocation flight from an abusive father. At the end of the flight, I told the girls that I would be praying for them and their mommy, and the young one gave the biggest hug.
IMG_8068.jpeg

For motivation.... Most of my missions are cancer patients. This is not a great pic - out of focus - but was one of my favorite. A few years ago, this was a relocation flight from an abusive father. At the end of the flight, I told the girls that I would be praying for them and their mommy, and the young one gave the biggest hug.
View attachment 50064

Jeeze man, is it getting dusty in here?

I kinda got the chills reading that. Great job, what an amazing experience that must have been for you as I'm sure it was for them.

RotorDude started this thread, but he hit a chord with me. I have lots of stories.

To anyone thinking of doing this, just remember it's about the patients. It's easy to get caught up in the mission and flying, but most are really going through an emotional journey. Compassion is paramount. Carry bags; get water; help them in; give them a hug at the end if you're comfortable; don't shy from talking about their issues if they want - just let them know you care.

Often, I adopt the patient. I'll look for future flights. I've taken several on several missions - I think the record is 11 trips. I can't encourage pilots enough. We are SO blessed, and it's great to be afforded an opportunity to help others.

Among the many rewards and benefits (none financial!) of flying Angel Flight is the knowledge you are helping GA as a whole.
For example, during one mission last year I was waiting at an FBO in Ohio to pick up the patient and mother. There happened to be there a group of young freshmen (coed) on a field trip to the airport from a nearby college, and their guide (who was made aware of my AF mission via the FBO lady) asked me if I would mind telling the kids about AF and how it relates to the airport. I was completely unprepared of course, but they all stood in a group around me, listening intently as I ad-libbed a little lecture about Angel Flight, its core mission and activities, and how it depends on the infrastructure of small GA airports. The kids seemed fascinated and asked lots of questions, until the patient showed up so I had to cut it short. I suspect AF makes a big difference in the public's perception and acceptance of GA, both airplanes and airports, at least among the ones aware of it.

I really want to do this, but worry that my 98 Archer III isn't really enough plane for the mission. I plan on stepping up to a 6 seat plane in 2020, and will definitely be doing Angel Flight missions then.

Most of the pilots I connect with for Angel Flight missions are flying archers and arrows.

Because of the way the missions are set, you pick the flights you want to take/can take.

An archer is plenty of plane for the mission legs they plan.

My UL is 960. Add my big butt (260) and full fuel (288) and I'm down to 412lbs of passenger/baggage load. Hmm, could work, I guess. Especially if I don't need full fuel.

I was also worried about the relatively cramped cabin.

I just got my IR, and I'm at about 470 PIC (550ish total time). After I get a little more practice in IMC, I may give it a go. Thanks.
Like others have said, that is plenty to be useful for AF missions. Most are only one to two people (and many of those are kids) and they are told by the coordinators to pack light.

And as others pointed out, they usually list the total PAX/luggage weight on the mission list so you know in advance if you can handle the requirement.

Most of the pilots I connect with for Angel Flight missions are flying archers and arrows.
Because of the way the missions are set, you pick the flights you want to take/can take.
An archer is plenty of plane for the mission legs they plan.

Yes, an Archer or Skyhawk are quite common for Angel Flight missions that I connect to or am aware of.
Most flights seem to be less than 400lbs, including pax plus baggage. And you can choose any mission you like out of a long list, based on your own personal criteria, at your own discretion. No pressure whatsoever, some people sign up and never pick up anything. :)

RotorDude - our work here is done. :cheers:

Go find us another recruit.

Rykymus - Be sure and tag us when you take your first mission - let us know how it goes. Take lots of pictures.

I'll make a small confession: I had vaguely heard about Angel Flight previously, but only joined them after reading about them on this site. So it's nice to give forward some of that propaganda. :)

Last edited:
I'll make a small confession: I had vaguely heard about Angel Flight previously, but only joined them after reading about them on this site. So it's nice to give forward some of that propaganda. :)

You're not alone! I had signed up but never taken a trip. It was because of posts here that I took my first trip with them (and now what's prompting me to get back into it!)

You're not alone! I had signed up but never taken a trip. It was because of posts here that I took my first trip with them (and now what's prompting me to get back into it!)

Great! Good to hear.
This is the right time of year to make these kinds of decisions. :)

This may be an arrogant question, but is there any economic easing of flight costs involved? Deep fuel discounting, P66 account card to use. Etc? My biggest hitch flying is fuel costs. Burning avg 20 gal an hour is painful and has severly crippled my flights to more core things like vacations and such over when I had the Archer.

If there was some way via the nonprofit to offset my costs, I'd be more inclined to help out. I just don't have the cash to be reliable otherwise.

Not arrogant. Almost everywhere gives a fuel discount. Call ahead. Some seasoned AF pilots don't even know, but the airports requested don't have to be used. Find one your comfortable with that's "close enough" and has good fuel prices. I've had discounts from .50 to $2 gallon. Flights are tax deductible. Talk to your cpa for advice on best way to deduct.

If there was some way via the nonprofit to offset my costs, I'd be more inclined to help out. I just don't have the cash to be reliable otherwise.
Some places will discount the fuel and ramp/FBO fees are typically waived, but the biggest offset is really the tax deduction.

All of your expenses specifically related to an AF mission are tax deductible.

This may be an arrogant question, but is there any economic easing of flight costs involved? Deep fuel discounting, P66 account card to use. Etc? My biggest hitch flying is fuel costs. Burning avg 20 gal an hour is painful and has severly crippled my flights to more core things like vacations and such over when I had the Archer.

Yes, all of us are in the same boat. I decide in advance what my AF budget would be for the year (typically 5-6 missions), and try to space it out. As Tink mentioned above, I also aggressively look for airports with the best AF gas deals and plan the routes accordingly (e.g. tanker up at the cheaper places). As far as ramp fees etc., virtually all airports waive them for AF (including the big class B ones), so your only incremental cost is gas and maybe oil. And having all those flight costs (like any certified charity) tax-deductible is a big help, of course.

Good on ya fellas! I don't have the required PIC time to do it but maybe someday. I have enough time for Pilots n Paws which I've done and although rewarding, it can't be as rewarding as flying humans around. I find the animals don't talk all that much and sometimes, they fart without warning.

Appears you have to have a plane, or access to one. Not just volunteer as a pilot? Worthy cause and nice to read about.

Appears you have to have a plane, or access to one. Not just volunteer as a pilot? Worthy cause and nice to read about.

Yes - at least access to one, including rentals. It's easy to write off the rental because all of that day is written off. You don't have to work out percentages, or take the easy way and just write off fuel and oil on the trip.

You can volunteer to be an assistant pilot, or whatever they call it. When I accept a mission, it has the option to say I'll take an assistant pilot along if one is available.

You can volunteer to be an assistant pilot, or whatever they call it. When I accept a mission, it has the option to say I'll take an assistant pilot along if one is available.

That is something I miss about AF West.

AF Mid Atlantic doesn't seem to have such s feature to pair up assistant pilots.

For those not familiar with AF, you should read up and do some research about it before joining.
There is no single "Angel Flight" organization in the US, it's actually a loose collection of regional organizations with some overlap and some inter-affiliations. They all (I think) belong to the Air Care Alliance, but that's more of a standards setting umbrella group (which also covers animal transport and other charity flights), not a corporate parent.
This means that the various AF "chapters", although quite similar in many ways, also have some significant differences. Before joining any one of them, do your own due diligence research and be sure you choose the best one for you and your area. You might want to ask people here for their comments or experience with specific outfits (which might need to come via PM for obvious reasons).

For reference, my experiences come from AF South Central. Very well run.

I signed up for Angel Flight West, since I'm based in the central CA valley.

I have flown a number of Angle Flights in a Warrior and Archer. AF tells you the weight of the passengers,just take that into account.

The Cardinal is a better plane for paaengers because of cabin size.

Back