Androids or iSheep?

I can pop out my SD card and transfer whatever I want to and from the home network and back to the device without being babysat or limited as to what can go on or be removed from the device.

Can you do that with iThings?

What Garmin device are you pairing with, a GTX345? My bluetooth connects fine and shows connected, it gets traffic but no other weather. My Google Pixel phone is running Pilot 7.7.5 and it works, my Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite tablet was also working on the same version, but now with Pilot version 7.8.2 there is no ADS-B weather.
I use a Nexus 7 (Asus). I have paired it with the 345 but there seems to be some sort of disconnect. When I go to the managed paired devices page on the 750, it shows the Nexus 7 but it has a red x instead of the green checkmark. Something about starting pilot up while it is pairing sometimes gets me the green checkmark and then it all starts working until I shut down and then I have to go through it all again.

I can pop out my SD card and transfer whatever I want to and from the home network and back to the device without being babysat or limited as to what can go on or be removed from the device.

Can you do that with iThings?
Is that better than iCloud and Air Drop? I’ve never felt a need to do what you’re describing, but I don’t know what I don’t know.

Is that better than iCloud and Air Drop? I’ve never felt a need to do what you’re describing, but I don’t know what I don’t know.

Way better. Offloading all my pictures, or uploading several thousand songs from my collection.

Way better. Offloading all my pictures, or uploading several thousand songs from my collection.

Perhaps better for your use case, but transferring lots of data over my network is significantly faster than SD. I used to use SD all the time to move stuff around, but these days it's hard to justify physical media anymore, regardless of if you're an Android or Apple guy.

Perhaps better for your use case, but transferring lots of data over my network is significantly faster than SD. I used to use SD all the time to move stuff around, but these days it's hard to justify physical media anymore, regardless of if you're an Android or Apple guy.
It's mainly for security these days, not speed. If you have something that other people shouldn't see (e.g. confidential medical info, interviews with victims of sexual violence, contact info for dissidents in authoritarian countries, etc) don't send it over the network.

As far as speeds go, you're absolutely right: my carrier just switched me over from LTE to 5G, and I'm seeing > 300 mbps network speeds on my phone now, even inside the house with solid walls between me and the nearest tower. I must be getting a boost from extra 5G chip in my arm after the C19 vaccines. ;)

If I have to go device ==> cloud ==> device there's no way it's faster. When I get a new device, I just move the SD card from old device to new.

And does Apple still do the "oh, you didn't get this song from iTunes, deleted" /strongbadvoice

If I have to go device ==> cloud ==> device there's no way it's faster. When I get a new device, I just move the SD card from old device to new.

And does Apple still do the "oh, you didn't get this song from iTunes, deleted" /strongbadvoice

I thought we were talking device to device? I can see David's point about security, but anytime I move large amounts of data from any two devices in my house it'll be over 802.11ac (yeah yeah, I need a newer router) The cloud will be slower of course, but even then a couple hundred MB/sec sustained isn't an issue for the big players.

Anyway, glad using SD to move things around works for you, but for me wireless has gotten so fast that it's hard to ignore the convenience of not dealing with media.

And I have hundreds of songs I've ripped over the years on my phone. Integrates just fine with the stuff I've purchased, as well as what I now stream.

I haven’t bought or ripped a single song since I started with Spotify.

As far as speeds go, you're absolutely right: my carrier just switched me over from LTE to 5G, and I'm seeing > 300 mbps network speeds on my phone now, even inside the house with solid walls between me and the nearest tower. I must be getting a boost from extra 5G chip in my arm after the C19 vaccines. ;)

It's pretty amazing - every once in awhile I'll wander into a UW area and it blows my mind how fast it is. I should have taken a screenshot, but Speedtest had me right at 1,100Mb/s. That's better than what I can sustain at home.

I haven’t bought or ripped a single song since I started with Spotify.

Yeah, it's all stuff from my college days. I was a big holdout against streaming a number of years ago, but have since gone to the dark side. Occasionally I'll hit up Bandcamp to support a specific artist, but that's about it.

Back