Android moving map GPS, what do you use?

Whats the best moving map GPS for Android?

• Naviator

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Garmin Pilot

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Avilution AviationMaps

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

jconway2002

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jconway2002
Android has a few moving map GPS options out there now, and they all include a trial period. Which apps have you tried, and which app did you choose as THE app to use?

I'm using Naviator.
I did not try Avilution as something in the description at the time didn't appeal to me - perhaps it was something to do with trial/purchase options or prices; it's been so long I don't remember.

I'm using Naviator.
I did not try Avilution as something in the description at the time didn't appeal to me - perhaps it was something to do with trial/purchase options or prices; it's been so long I don't remember.

I am using Naviator as well. Its pretty straight forward and simple to use. I heard Garmin Pilot is now the app to have after they recently updated it, but I found it a little too complex. Price wise, Naviator wins as well.

Garmin's Pilot is a great piece of software since the last update, and works seamlessly with the GDL-39 ADS-B weather/traffic receiver.

I like Naviator, too, but they don't have weather and traffic.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Garmin's Pilot is a great piece of software since the last update, and works seamlessly with the GDL-39 ADS-B weather/traffic receiver.

I like Naviator, too, but they don't have weather and traffic.

Sent from my Nexus 7

The naviator site says he is working on it :)

I use naviator on the window and foreflight in my lap.

I use Naviator on my Android phone and sold my old Garmin 295.

I think I am going to be compelled to buy an iPad + Foreflight as soon as I get my IR rating though.

Tried Naviator but prefer seamless charts, so paid for Garmin.

I currently use Naviator, but some things are a bit rough compared to the big apps. Avilution's product is nice, but I refuse to consider it until the developer includes decoded weather. It's not that I can't pick my way through a metar or TAF but, in 2012, I shouldn't have to.
After a couple more updates, Garmin Pilot will be a real contender... and then there's Bendix with something coming out soon.

Last edited:
I have both Avilution and G.P. on my Xoom. So far, G.P. edges out Avilution because AV doesn't have good "nav log" type display for planning. I do like Av's split screen, though.

I've been looking and I really like what I see on the Garmin... with a 7" tablet it should be quite nice. So much so that I'm not renewing my Aeronav DVD subscription - I can buy the tablet AND Garmin pilot for less than the cost of the paper charts and DVD of approach plates.

Back