Android app to accurately measure true airspeed - MeasureTAS

jk1943

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jk1943
If you ever have need to accurately measure the true airspeed of your aircraft, I have created an android app (MeasureTAS) that makes it very simple to measure true airspeed to GPS accuracy. Basically, you fly legs in three arbitrary directions while the app captures tracks and groundspeeds and then does the calculations. The app is based on a much cited algorithm developed and published in 1998 by Doug Gray. The app is available on the Google Play Store - it is free and without ads. There is a link to Doug Gray's paper on the MeasureTAS page on Google Play.

Very cool!
No bugs or malware attached?
Not from Nigeria are you.....? :wink2:

The National Test Pilot School also has Mr. Gray's paper on their website under the heading "Using GPS to Determine Pitot-Static Errors".
Thanks for the App!

Very nice. I had been flying the legs, writing down the numbers, then filling in a spreadsheet once I got back home. TAS vs RPM and MP is really the only way to determine if your engine is putting out rated power when you have a constant speed prop, and the three leg method is the most accurate way to calculate TAS. Thank you!

Last edited:
Back