Andrew! wine question

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I bought a 2001 Andrea Oberto Barolo for a gift. Hold, drink soon, drink now? I'll advise it should be a special occasion wine but not sure about WHEN. I did taste it (bought it at a wine tasting) and it's magnificent. He had two bottles left and I shoulda bought them both.

will it be even better later?

thanks!

I bought a 2001 Andrea Oberto Barolo for a gift. Hold, drink soon, drink now? I'll advise it should be a special occasion wine but not sure about WHEN. I did taste it (bought it at a wine tasting) and it's magnificent. He had two bottles left and I shoulda bought them both.

will it be even better later?

thanks!

The 2001 is a good year, 2000 was the blockbuster and subsequently many people overlook 2001.

I'd plan to hold a bottle like that, assuming good cellaring conditions, for a few years. It should really open up and the tannin should subside. I'm on dialup, and up at our vacation house, so I don't have my copy of Vino Italiano in front of me - I'm not sure of OBerto is an "old-world" or "new-world" producer - which if they are more old-world, you will need some time to let this baby shine. If it is a new world, I'd plan to be drinking it in the next 5 years. No matter what, if you had a glass recently from a sample bottle and you loved it, crack it when the emotion strikes. Give it a few hours to open up in a decanter, though!

Good luck... Barolo is the greatest wine style of them all.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back