And You Think Your Landings are Hard

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
TUESDAY TRIVIA: When the Apollo 12 astronauts landed on the moon,
the impact caused the Moon's surface to vibrate for 55 minutes.

Note sure of the source or veracity of the above statement.

Len

from Apollo 13:

"adjust the roll here, yaw there, and set it down for a nice, soft landing on the moon. Better than Neil Armstrong, WAY better than Pete Conrad"

Maybe it is true...

tonycondon said:
from Apollo 13:

"adjust the roll here, yaw there, and set it down for a nice, soft landing on the moon. Better than Neil Armstrong, WAY better than Pete Conrad"

Maybe it is true...
[FONT=&quot]Not sure that comment is referring to a specific action of Pete Conrad. I was talking to Allen Bean a couple of years back about the remarks that many astronauts made about Pete Conrad. Allen, if you remember, was the LMP right next to Pete when they made the lunar landing on Apollo 12. This was a few years after Pete's death and Al had been talking about his buddy when I just had to pry into the what the back story was. Al told me that Pete was one of the best there was, and he was also a plain great guy that loved to kid around. He often got the best of the other guys so they would have to gang up on him to kid him back. One of the things liked to do was comment on his "lack" of skills to the media. It is very likely that this comment that was written by fellow astronaut Jim Lovell was a good natured dig at his fellow astronaut.

The lunar module of Apollo 12 was to be the first precision landing on the moon. Apollo 11's goal was to land and they overshot their landing spot by many miles. Pete Conrad had to land in a designated area to achieve one of his prime mission goals to visit the Surveyor Lander. There was also a need to be able to target specific areas in future missions and NASA needed to verify it was possible to land exactly where they wanted. Pete did this on the first try and developed the techniques that were used to achieve. Again I am told that his ego made sure that everyone else was made aware of his great prowess as a pilot and there was much joking to bring him back to earth figuratively as well as literally.[/FONT]

cool scott, i found this on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_12
looks like dropping the ascent stage caused the seismometers to go for an hourish, not the landing. I really like the little song Al and Pete sang at the top of the page.

Back