AND THEY'RE OFF! Gastons Migration

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Michael Driggs, Ron Levy, and Carol Theiler are enroute as of this moment. See attached screen capture. I didn't have Carol's N-number, but now I do (off the "who's going" list at the site they put together).

I'll post new shots every few hours....

Very cool Troy. What do the other numbers by the planes mean ie is 85 with an up arrow indicate 8500' and climbing?

I might do flight following. If they relay flight following to the site.......
you can figure out my N-number I hope...just look...
<---------Here

I'm leaving in about an hour.

AdamZ said:
Very cool Troy. What do the other numbers by the planes mean ie is 85 with an up arrow indicate 8500' and climbing?

Yes. Second number is ground speed (kts). Carol's block shows departure and destination with computer estimate of arrival time.

AdamZ said:

Yes, like Ed said. If it shows a C next to the altitude block ("85C") then it is showing your mode-C reported altitude.

Thanks Ed and Troy! Keep posting the progress if you can Troy its fun to watch!

Mike Schneider said:
I wish I were going! That is going to be fun (already is for the folks in the air). -- Mike
Me too! :(

Somebody drink something extra :)drink:) for me and report back. I'm sure one of you can handle it :D

-Rich

AdamZ said:
Thanks Ed and Troy! Keep posting the progress if you can Troy its fun to watch!

I'll be posting a new capture in this thread every hour on the hour (I skipped the 11AM one, because Ron and Michael must have stopped for fuel and Carol was almost on the ground).

Update 16:35Z

Bill, Ron, and Michael enroute. Michael keeps dropping off my screen, must be bad radar coverage out there.

Carol has arrived based on what I saw, at 16:23Z.

Boy, Ron is getting book performance out of his Tiger. Must have light or no headwind going west. I know he likes to fly at 65% - 70% and 135 kts is just about TAS and that's his current ground speed according to the map.

Really cool BTW.

Re: Update 16:35Z

Troy Whistman said:
Michael keeps dropping off my screen, must be bad radar coverage out there.
Maybe he's too fast for radar.

Either that, or he's installed stealth mods on his Mooney :)

-Rich

Yeah something must be up with the coverage out west. 106 kts GS in a mooney heading east dosent seem right.

AdamZ said:
Yeah something must be up with the coverage out west. 106 kts GS in a mooney heading east dosent seem right.

I am not surprised at his 106 GS. He'll be on the backside of a high all the way. This would be a good time for some pressure flying. I'm thinking he's low for that area, probably staying low looking for best winds.

Update 18:30z

There were no planes on "the scope" at 1:30pm CDT... so no picture. I'll try again in a bit.

Re: Update 18:30z

Troy Whistman said:
There were no planes on "the scope" at 1:30pm CDT... so no picture. I'll try again in a bit.

Excuses, excuses.... C'mon, Troy. You started this, it's time for my fix. They'll probably all be on the ground before the next update. Time now 1834Z.

Richard said:
I am not surprised at his 106 GS. He'll be on the backside of a high all the way. This would be a good time for some pressure flying. I'm thinking he's low for that area, probably staying low looking for best winds.
He's probably just trying to stay UP. He was pretty loaded down after picking up Nick in ABQ. :D

I know! We can bet on Michael's ATA at Gastons. Lessee, he didn't say what time, but if he got off at 0630, 106 GS, stop at ABQ, time to climb, near gross, high temps, another fuel stop somewhere in the flatlands, I'm gonna say 06/25 0200Z for his arrival somewhere near Gastons and then a short hop to final destination in the morning. His GS will pick up further east but I don't think by more than 20 kts.

UPDATE: 20:11Z (Dave Taylor, Bill Suffa)

It costs me everytime I log on, so that's why you're only getting occasional snapshots. Here's the last one for today. This one has a bullseye on 3M0 (Gastons). Looks like Dave is headed "direct".

I'll get some tomorrow morning, and then again during the "grand departure" after brunch on Sunday... I think the Sunday departure will be the best view anyway.

Y'all have a good night!

I have Flight Explorer Pro that doesn't cost me anything to use. I'm not sure when I'll be around over the weekend but I can try to post some snapshots too.

Caught my pre-flight post-maint check-out-flight I see...

Sigh. I am pretty close to Gastons, at least a lot closer than most everyone else. Alas, I can not attend, sigh.

dustin

Troy Whistman said:
Michael Driggs, Ron Levy, and Carol Theiler are enroute as of this moment. See attached screen capture. I didn't have Carol's N-number, but now I do (off the "who's going" list at the site they put together).

I'll post new shots every few hours....

Per the latest plan, I'll be flying 9025Q late this afternoon with Scott Shekels and his family along. I don't expect any blistering groundspeeds though with winds from the south/southwest.

Well, We made it :)
I just took off from gastons to pickup Nick and Mark at Baxter County. For those of you who saw that takeoff...it was planned to buzz those trees vertical. Seriously though, wet grass and soft field takeoffs in a mooney...dont think im gonna try that again :)
Looks like were going to hit some weather in New Mexico, so the plan is to go south till we run out of either storms or US airspace. Will keep yall informed.

Gastons was great! It was real nice to finally meet everyone.

Michael

Back