And people wonder why aircraft owners visit Ace and Napa...

Yes, sometimes the parts are special and made out of unobtanium. Other times, the guy who drew up the original factory drawing didn't do us the favor and list the COTS (Commercial Off-The Shelf) part numbers for the original source of the parts that were used. Ever notice things like the term "automotive" on older type cerificates? Bingo! I suspect it isn't as true for Part23 birds, but for the old CAR3 planes it's obvious...

This looks like the part that's plastic on a mooney. And, apparently, heat shrink. A previous instructor mentioned his seat belt was loose. So I looked at it, and then tried to find the part. The plastic bushing apparently fits down over the metal post and then is heat shrunk around it.

$80 for a seatbelt kit. For one bushing. that's plastic.

Lol, $1500 quote for one armrest... Same one that came out of a 1965 Chevelle, available online for $50/pr

As I contemplate ownership, this is the one thing that really will deter me.
I don't want to, but I might HAVE to go experimental to keep my sanity.
I haven't spent anything on parts yet, fwiw lol

I bought the Piper version of those control wheels in your link but not from Spruce. I got them from Knots to U which I found was a mistake since they are just a drop shipper from Avion (the manufacturer) and didn't know which PTT switch it took so they sent me the wrong one, drop shipped from someone else. The price was less than $1300 two years ago and in addition to getting rid of the recurring AD, they look a lot nicer and are a lot more comfortable than the bakelite bowties that were on it.

Anybody price out a control wheel lately?
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/wheel05-12271.php?clickkey=11169

$2,192/pair for Cessna control wheels.
FAA Certification: STC/PMA SA000709LA

Paperwork like that doesn't grow on trees you know. And, for a low volume product, the cost per unit...

OTOH, I didn't like the right side control stick in my ride (I wanted to make it removable), so I cut it off with the Sawzall (genuine Milwaukee), got the torch out and welded an insert into the base to allow the stick to slide on and off. Add a pip pin from the hardware store and I was good to go.

Edit: I was just at the airport and took a picture... Tolerable looking rosette weld for a hilbilly, eh? (That's the base of the stick with the pin in it sitting on top)

Attachments

• 20170813_121458[1].jpg
    20170813_121458[1].jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
FAA Certification: STC/PMA SA000709LA

Paperwork like that doesn't grow on trees you know. And, for a low volume product, the cost per unit...

OTOH, I didn't like the right side control stick in my ride (I wanted to make it removable), so I cut it off with the Sawzall (genuine Milwaukee), got the torch out and welded an insert into the base to allow the stick to slide on and off. Add a pip pin from the hardware store and I was good to go.

Edit: I was just at the airport and took a picture... Tolerable looking rosette weld for a hilbilly, eh? (That's the base of the stick with the pin in it sitting on top)
OhMyGod, that will crash on the schoolyard ... think of the CHILDREN when you do stuff like this {;-)

Jim

The National Aerospace Parts Authority (NAPA) has been a parts supplier to me for years. I have never heard or experienced problems with parts form them. In fact, they hold up quite well.

Back