And now for something completly different...

The AC cup race is next year, bunch of work up series stuff in between though.

Very nice! A few random AC / sailing questions for you, Henning.

1. Is that sail like pretty much the same as the BMW/Oracle rigid sail from the 2010 competition?
  2. Why did BMW/Oracle go with a trimaran when the boat spends 95% of its time heeled over on a single outboard hull?
  3. Anything interesting going on in the world of sailboat racing on the east coast this summer? I tried to get up to Newport last summer to see the time trials, but that wasn't going to happen with my job.
  4. I've been told that they have aerospace engineers working on the AC boats because naval engineers aren't used to dealing with the high speeds (relative to other boats/ships) involved. Is this true at all? If so, what part of the boat do they work on?

I'm not involved at all this year so have specifics to give. Aero engineers have long been involved in competitive sailing. Trimaran not sure, I'd have to look closer at the execution but it could be to maintain a minimum wetted surface at dynamic support speeds while providing the required stability and low speed buoyancy.

I'm not involved at all this year so have specifics to give. Aero engineers have long been involved in competitive sailing. Trimaran not sure, I'd have to look closer at the execution but it could be to maintain a minimum wetted surface at dynamic support speeds while providing the required stability and low speed buoyancy.

Allow me to translate. The new sailing boats are fast as hell. :rofl:

Allow me to translate. The new sailing boats are fast as hell. :rofl:

Ha. Yeah, that much I know :). BMW/Oracle got up to over 3.5 times the wind speed with their 2010 boat. I'm convinced they cheat. (Not really). (Sort of).

Back