And I'm off...

Have a good time and see you on Saturday. I was cleaning out the flight bag last night and updating charts.

Question, if I have to file IFR because a portion of the flight requires it. What airport do I file to since 6Y9 does not have a IAP?

Would I file to KIMT and then cancel once I get close and in VMC?

I believe you can file IFR to 6Y9 regardless. Of course you couldn't descend except under visual conditions and your alternate would have to have IAP's.

scott, as long as you have a way to navigate to it (VOR/DME or GPS) you can file to 6Y9 if you have ceilings high enough to descent from MEA to landing in VMC. Have to have an alternate though. Otherwise yes file to nearby airport, cancel and go VFR when close.

yep i had to refresh on the way to/from Gastons. Neither airport (IA24 or 3MO) have IAPs. On the way back it was IFR and I didnt want to think about it, so I just filed to CID (8 miles north) and then got VFR under the layer and cancelled. piece o cake.

Hey Big problem here Ed. I clicked on 6Y9 on flight aware to see other flights in and from there and a screen popped up saying "Invalid Airport Code" as in no such place. Lets get these guys up to date and informed the 6Y9 has been recommissioned.

AdamZ said:
Hey Big problem here Ed. I clicked on 6Y9 on flight aware to see other flights in and from there and a screen popped up saying "Invalid Airport Code" as in no such place. Lets get these guys up to date and informed the 6Y9 has been recommissioned.

That is because 6Y9 is an IATA code. Flight aware only supports the ICAO codes.

IATA are the three letter codes like 6Y9 where ICAO are the 4 letter codes like KORD. Some places have both. Tokyo for instance has the IATA code of NRT (Narita) but it's ICAO code is RJAA

Yeah Scott but it supports Eds home field of 9D9 and even give and expample of a three ditgit code.

Just heard from Nick and Richard. They are somewhere in Kansas right now and should be arriving in Minneapolis this evening.

And the title of Ed's adventure in his Cherokee????

"The Day the Earth Stood Still"

LOL! :rofl:

Tailwinds too ya Ed.....You'll need 'em!

No tailwinds for him today! Flight aware only shows him at 111 kts.

FlyNE said:
No tailwinds for him today! Flight aware only shows him at 111 kts.

Oooh that's good for him! ;)

AdamZ said:
Yeah Scott but it supports Eds home field of 9D9 and even give and expample of a three ditgit code.

Good point, my home field of 10C is in there. I guess they don't always follow their own rules.

And look, he went over water in a single and lived..Oh my.

6Y9 Runway NOTAM

I spoke with Ed after he landed and got a NOTAM on the runway.

As he mentioned in an earlier posting, Runway 28 is generally preferred. He said that the portion from the first marker cones is usable for landings. That's about 200' before the threshold cones for 28, and 50' past the new grass (aka dirt), which is too soft to allow landings yet. It is suitable, however, for taxiing and takeoff. So the new, unmarked threshold for 28 is 200'.

If you're coming in after this weekend, 8/5-6, check with the airport manager for a current NOTAM, since it's expected to improve.

Re: 6Y9 Runway NOTAM

gprellwitz said:
I spoke with Ed after he landed and got a NOTAM on the runway.

As he mentioned in an earlier posting, Runway 28 is generally preferred. He said that the portion from the first marker cones is usable for landings. That's about 200' before the threshold cones for 28, and 50' past the new grass (aka dirt), which is too soft to allow landings yet. It is suitable, however, for taxiing and takeoff. So the new, unmarked threshold for 28 is 200'.

If you're coming in after this weekend, 8/5-6, check with the airport manager for a current NOTAM, since it's expected to improve.
EdFred, if you see this, I gather this is what you were trying to tell me when your cellphone just broke up too badly. I'll have a look in the early evening, if all goes well. If not, I'll post here.

Re: 6Y9 Runway NOTAM

bbchien said:
EdFred, if you see this, I gather this is what you were trying to tell me when your cellphone just broke up too badly. I'll have a look in the early evening, if all goes well. If not, I'll post here.
The connection we had was pretty poor. I made sure to do a readback! :yes: Let us know what you find, if you can get a connection out.

jangell said:
Just heard from Nick and Richard. They are somewhere in Kansas right now and should be arriving in Minneapolis this evening.

Unfortunately (for me) I'm in wonderful Joliet IL tomorrow and much of Saturday. Attendance at this tournament is mandatory if I want to ski in the national tournament so I can't skip it.

Have fun all y'all.

Airnav.com shows the airport as closed, too... and no picture. I bet EdFred can fix that.

Troy Whistman said:
Airnav.com shows the airport as closed, too... and no picture. I bet EdFred can fix that.

Good luck. I first sent them corrective information on an airport where they have it all wrong (two runways instead of one, unpaved instead of paved), and the airport owner did the same. Over three years. Same old BS in place at airnav.

SCCutler said:
Good luck. I first sent them corrective information on an airport where they have it all wrong (two runways instead of one, unpaved instead of paved), and the airport owner did the same. Over three years. Same old BS in place at airnav.

I believe Airnav gets all their info from the DAFIF file. The only info that's their own is the FBO/fuel/etc. info, the airport and navaid info is the FAA stuff. Not sure how often they re-read the file, but probably not every time it comes out.

flyingcheesehead said:
I believe Airnav gets all their info from the DAFIF file. The only info that's their own is the FBO/fuel/etc. info, the airport and navaid info is the FAA stuff. Not sure how often they re-read the file, but probably not every time it comes out.

I am pretty sure the new AFD which just became active on 3 Aug also lists the airport as closed indef still.

smigaldi said:
I am pretty sure the new AFD which just became active on 3 Aug also lists the airport as closed indef still.
Affirmative. :mad:

gprellwitz said:
Affirmative. :mad:
email I just to NACO per their directions

blank.gif

How can I report chart discrepancies?

You are encouraged to bring charting errors to our attention. On every NACO Aeronautical product, we have a note that describes how to report charting errors. You may contact us by mail, telephone, and e-mail:
  • Mailing Address: FAA, National Aeronautical Charting Office
    AVN-500, SSMC4, Station 2335
    1305 East West Highway
    Silver Spring, MD 20910-3281
  • Telephone.......(800) 626-3677 toll free, U.S. only
  • E-mail...............9-AMC-Aerochart@faa.gov
So I sent this:
I was reviewing the information in the AFD-EC on airport 6Y9. This airport in Michigan called Pricket-Grooms or Sidnaw, MI airport is listed in the remarks as 'CLSD INDEF'. That is not the case at all and has been recently repopened to much fanfare. Please correct ASAP.

The new airport manager there is Ed Frederick and he can be reached at 906 355 2257 or view their webite at http://www.sidnaw.org/6Y9/

Thank you.

I talked to flight service about that. They said it sometimes takes a couple cycles to get printed in the green books. I did only officially notify the FAA on July 20th (received the state license on the 19th) about the reopening. I also need to get accurate GPS readings for the field next time I am up there, but like those of you who flew in, all you need to do is get close because the towns are 10 miles apart, and about the only non wooded area is the airstrip.

smigaldi said:
email I just to NACO per their directions

So I sent this:

Uh, Scott -

The 906 number is the number for the gas station and cabins for field conditions. I have the 616 number listed on the flyer and under field information on the sidnaw.org site - which by the way I will take any and all suggestions on making that better.

N2212R said:
Uh, Scott -

The 906 number is the number for the gas station and cabins for field conditions. I have the 616 number listed on the flyer and under field information on the sidnaw.org site - which by the way I will take any and all suggestions on making that better.

Oops, well I just pulled that off of the website as the 616 looked like it was for runway conditions only.

smigaldi said:
Oops, well I just pulled that off of the website as the 616 looked like it was for runway conditions only.

The 616 number is MY number
The 906 number is for immediate runway conditions.

I'll check the website to see if I can alleviate any confusion.

Edit: Updated the website.

Back