And good Bluetooth headsets?

Eamon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Eamon
I just got a new cell phone that has bluetooth.

I never liked the wired hands free headsets much & they never worked well or lasted long.

How are the Bluetooth headsets that I see in everyones ears?

Do they work well?

Any feedback, hard to hear, etc?

Any good models anyone can reccomend?

Are you looking for a headset in one ear only with a microphone, or headphones that provide stereo for a cell phone with a built-in MP3 player? I had a Motorola headset that was the former, but it got damp from sweat while I was shoveling snow one day, and didn't work right after that. Plus, I don't think the Motorola ones work in other brands of phones.

Those things are a curse. My buddy walks around taking calls and you think he's talking to himself.

He gets into my car, not saying anything to me and I hear, "That's his car radio."

They need "person waiting" so you can say, "How about talking to the human who's in the flesh right in front of you?"

I don't like the people who walk around with it all day and confuse you. But they are *very* nice if you are driving and plan on talking to someone for any length of time. I just bought a PLantronics Explorer 320 the other day and UPS delivered it today--I'll let you know

I don't like the people who walk around with it all day and confuse you. But they are *very* nice if you are driving and plan on talking to someone for any length of time. I just bought a PLantronics Explorer 320 the other day and UPS delivered it today--I'll let you know

Agreed on that... we had several guys in my office that used to wear it all day long.. which of course was an open invitation for us to make fun of them..

Agreed on that... we had several guys in my office that used to wear it all day long.. which of course was an open invitation for us to make fun of them..

My generic term I've always used for these kind of people: "bluetooth ****oles"

There are times I love it and times I've almost tested it's resistance to high velocity impact!!

I do like it better then the ear piece that plugged into the phone for hands free operation. On many occasions, I've bumped the phone somehow and suddenly found it dialed someone or the blue tooth connection was lost and I had to resync it. Look for at least version 1.2. Some folks have something with 2.0. Version 1.1 was really clunky--stay away from that if possible.

Best,

Dave

I use a Plantronics Voyager 510 and I like it. It's not as expensive or fancy as some models, but I can't stand the kind that has all the weight hanging down in front of my ear. I much prefer this one because the weight is behind my ear and the ear piece fits snug into the ear..I have a hard time hearing clearly on the other kind, there is always too much noise interference from outside sources. I've also found that when people wear those types, I can hear the other person over the phone just as well as the one wearing the headset.

I have a GN Netcom 6210 (which is made by Jabra), which I use all day at the office, and I could not do without it. In the office, linked up with its Bluetooth base, it works very well, giving range much greater than that which is promised. I bought it to replace the old Plantronics wired headset which I had used for years, and which I loved except (1) tied to a leash, and (2) dry weather, static discharge through my ear !!!!!!!OUCH!!!!

I also use it with my cell phone, and the operation thereof is very clunky and unreliable, all of which I attribute to Nokia's questionable implementation of Bluetooth. Still, even then, when it works, it's great.

When they make one that doesn't make me look even more geeky, I'll get it.

When they make one that doesn't make me look even more geeky, I'll get it.

I flat don't care. But the one I use is very small, mic only comes forward about 1/5" from bottom of the ear. It weighs nearly nothing.

They work with anyone's bluetooth compatible phone

That would be a requirement of using the Bluetooth name wouldn't it? I'm sure they are pretty damn strict about the implementation of their protocol.

It used to be that people who would walk around talking to themselves were crazy, now they are businessmen. Ok so not much has changed ;)

I like the guys with or without the headsets that insist that they have to talk very loud on their phones like it was an old style 1890's phone or something. I have started just joining in on the conversation. When they say "I am on the phone" because I must be finally annoying them I just tell them "Oh, sorry, you were speaking so loudly I just figured you want all of us in the room to participate in your conversation about..." They usually tone it down then.

But thew most annoying cellphone behavior... Using the phone at the URINAL!!! I hate that. When I see that I usually have to respond loudly right next to the offender. GOD IT HURTS WHEN I URINATE!!

Eamon, I have the Motorola H500. My only complaint is that the on/off and call button are the same, and that it isn't protected. IOW, put the thing in your pocket and you will eventually depress the on/off button for ~3 seconds--the phone powers on. You will then eventually depress the on/off button (it is now the call activation button) for 3 seconds. 1 second would activate the voice dial function, but 3 seconds redials the last number you called. You guessed it, next thing you know your buddy Eamon is calling to tell you he spent the past couple of minutes listening to you and your wife laughing.;)

They work with anyone's bluetooth compatible phone
That's good to know. It's also contrary to what the insurance company told me when I had to replace my Motorola phone because of damage. They said that the Motorola headset was crippled to not work with other phones. Now I admit that I don't remember if it was because it was Motorola or because it came from Verizon. I know that they have a history of crippling their phones' features, so it wouldn't surprise me to hear that they do the same with the headsets. Of course, the representative could just have been misinformed. :dunno:

That's good to know. It's also contrary to what the insurance company told me when I had to replace my Motorola phone because of damage. They said that the Motorola headset was crippled to not work with other phones. Now I admit that I don't remember if it was because it was Motorola or because it came from Verizon. I know that they have a history of crippling their phones' features, so it wouldn't surprise me to hear that they do the same with the headsets. Of course, the representative could just have been misinformed. :dunno:

Nope not true about the headset. Verizon crippled all of its phone's to prevent bluetooth transfers of media. That way you had to use their revenue generating network to transfer pictures and sounds.

Nope not true about the headset. Verizon crippled all of its phone's to prevent bluetooth transfers of media. That way you had to use their revenue generating network to transfer pictures and sounds.
Good to know about the headset. Of course, since it was damaged, I never even bothered trying to use it with the new phone.

Back