Ancient Travel Itinerary

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
There was a play called "If it’s Tuesday, this must be Belgium". It reminds me of how my parents took trips.

When I was 13, must have been 1962, I went with my parents on an around-the-world trip. I just stumbled upon the itinerary for this trip:

53191655412_a7ed58ff3f_b.jpg

53191655417_decbd7b904_b.jpg

The aircraft ranged from "JET" to various turboprops and pistons, including the recently discussed "Constellation".

I don't remember a whole lot of the trip, and that is certainly not the structured was I myself like to travel. Still, must have been quite the adventure!

Last edited:
We didn't have a lot of family trips when I was young, but the few we had departure time was always at 4am.

No eating at restaurants or roadside cafe. Mom always prepared enough food to eat while on the road. We would stop at the roadside parks for lunch. Only bathroom breaks were when pop stopped for gas. Good thing cars back then only got 9 miles to the gallon.

What a great find and what must’ve been an amazing trip. That’s a lot like how we do our Rv trips.

There was a play called "If this is Tuesday, this must be Belgium". It reminds me of how my parents took trips.
If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium (1969 - Suzanne Pleshette, Ian McShane and a great comedy ensemble cast) is one of my favorite movies. It could almost be a documentary of my crazy five-week student tour just the year before :cool:.

What a find -- That's quite the collection of flying machines in your family's itinerary!

Very cool, Eddie! Some neat old iron in that list. Do you have any photos from the trip?

There was a play called "If it’s Tuesday, this must be Belgium". It reminds me of how my parents took trips.

When I was 13, must have been 1962, I went with my parents on an around-the-world trip. I just stumbled upon the itinerary for this trip:

53191655412_a7ed58ff3f_b.jpg

53191655417_decbd7b904_b.jpg

The aircraft ranged from "JET" to various turboprops and pistons, including the recently discussed "Constellation".

I don't remember a whole lot of the trip, and that is certainly not the structured was I myself like to travel. Still, must have been quite the adventure!

Wow, Tan Son Nhat in 1962? You managed to squeak through that one.

Wow! A two month trip for $35K in just airfare in 2023 dollars. Amazing!

I am not the op but have been scanning in some old slides of my parents. They were taken on a South America trip on Braniff probably 1955 or 56. My Dad worked for Braniff as a mechanic in the mid 50's. I believe he started as a pilot for Continental in 56. Looks like the first two were taken at KHOU. I do not know where the third was taken but notice the B-24 in the background, is that the current CAF's B-24? FYI I do not know the guy in the picture, he is not my Dad.

Sorry I could not load the pictures like I used to.

Attachments

• IMAG0039s.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMAG0029s.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0017s.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The first picture with the TTA DC-3. My very first flight in a airline was a DC-3 with Trans Texas Airlines, or tree top airlines as we called it. We went from College Station to Houston Hobby airport.

Thanks for the memories.!!

Back