Anchorage FBO

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
My wife is doing the majority of the trip planning for our Alaska trip next week. I am helping with the logistics. I assumed we would be landing at PANC (Ted Stevens), where I reserved a rental car. She now tells me we are landing at Merrill Field. They have two FBOs, but Airnav doesn't list either of them as having rental cars. I have emailed them, but while I wait for a reply, I thought I would ask here for advice. Is Merrill Field (PAMR) a suitable place to park for about a week? Are either of the FBOs preferable over the other?

I don't know much about the FBO situation, but it is a pretty big field as far as GA goes.......lots of good plane watching, just about anything you can imagine on amphibious floats/skis/tundra tires.

Merrill is a nice GA airport but no rental cars. Those are mostly at Anch International. Take a cab, Uber, Lyft, or call Enterprise.

Getting a rental won't be an issue. Just do the ride thing. It's possible they may come and get you as well.

If you land at Merrill, don't be surprised if your taxiing takes you across a road. Look both ways before crossing the street.

What a cool adventure, I can't wait to see some pictures from this.

Merrill is a nice GA airport but no rental cars. Those are mostly at Anch International. Take a cab, Uber, Lyft, or call Enterprise.
Thanks. Wasn't sure if they have Uber. I will probably call Enterprise, and if they can't pick me up, then I will Uber over there.
Thats' good to know. Thanks for the heads up.
What a cool adventure, I can't wait to see some pictures from this.
I plan to. Now I just have to finally figure out how to upload pics from my phone. It can't be too hard; can it?

While both are there, folks I spoke with indicate Lyft is the better option in Anchorage.
Thanks for.checking on that.

I tried posting a photo and it was easier than I thought.
36E13C2F-D927-4C03-B5B6-4B5C81574F3E.jpeg

BTW... A possible cost saving measure is to go to the hotel without renting a car. Spend the night if you've gotten in late (or go right away if you're early enough) and then go to the in-town rental place of your choice. If you rent in town, you won't have to pay the airport concession fees.

It's high season for tourists here. You're gonna get hosed for hotels and cars this time of year. It's just how it goes. I hope you have reservations.

It's high season for tourists here. You're gonna get hosed for hotels and cars this time of year. It's just how it goes. I hope you have reservations.
We have most of the reservations, up until the return trip. For the return trip we booked a hotel for the first night in two places (coastal route and ALCAN route). We can cancel one of them two days before scheduled check in).

Interesting parking job and you're gonna need to inspect that seatbelt. ;)
She landed it that way!

I should have known someone would notice that seat belt. You can't tell it, but the door isn't fully closed. I know that because one time I tried to close the door with the seat belt like that and it wouldn't close.

I stayed at Ace on the south side of the main runway, appears to be called Crowley now. Fuel pumps, hangars and rooms available. But it’s been 10years?

Got a taxi to take me to a local car rental. That was before the days of Uber or Lyft.

Be sure to go through the SFRA regulation. Need to be on top of your game for radio work.

Back