Anal Fissure

U

Unregistered

How does one go about getting an anal fissure resolved? I go to the doctor, they give me cortisone cream, say keep it clean put this stuff on it. But at the slightest hint of constipation, it opens up. Needless to say that in spite of getting plenty of fiber, as time wears on age slows things down if you know what I mean. Been going on for a few years now, but my doctor doesn't seem to have any thing new to say.

I'm not a doctor and I don't pretend to be one, but I'll bet surgery is in your future. I'm sure Dr. Bruce will give you a better idea what's ahead for you.

I had one and did not have surgery. (yet) It seems to have healed fine.
The trick in my case was strict hygiene (a 'bidet' may be one of the few good French ideas) and I mean after Every Movement. Dry gently. Apply thin coat of Anusol. Main purpose being to preserve moisture, prevent dessication of tissues.
Avoid wiping excessively. Don't buy cheap tissue, get the softest around. Avoid gas station restrooms for the same reason. Lose weight. Wear loose clothes. Fiber in your diet is now a Daily thing... Almost every meal. No bacon and eggs... now it's oatmeal. Veggies on the Subway. Veggies with that steak.
Try metamucil or others. Get to know prunes and raisins.

I had one for about a year that bled profusely after every movement. Ended up having surgery. Painful recovery of about a week but fixed the problem. That was 20 years ago and no recurrence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anonymous said:
How does one go about getting an anal fissure resolved? I go to the doctor, they give me cortisone cream, say keep it clean put this stuff on it. But at the slightest hint of constipation, it opens up. Needless to say that in spite of getting plenty of fiber, as time wears on age slows things down if you know what I mean. Been going on for a few years now, but my doctor doesn't seem to have any thing new to say.
Request consultation with a general surgeon. It's time. It has no effect on your pilot Cert.

Anonymous said:

Most chronic anal fissures are very painful because they are associated with anal sphincter spasm (sort of a charlie horse of the butt). Surgery to cut part of the muscle releases the cramp and allows healing of the fissure. I've heard of using Botox injection or Nitroglycerin cream to do the same thing. They aren't as fast acting but a little safer. Steroid creams used long term can cause thinning of the tissues and actually impair healing. Fiber is very important and keeping the area clean.

If you have tolerated this for a couple of years, you don't have significant sphincter spasm. I would recommend having someone, perferably a General Surgeon or Colorectal Surgeon take a look at you. I've had a few patients that were treated for extended periods for hemorrhoids and fissures without a good exam, and in reality had more serious problems (Squamous Cell Cancer or Colon Cancer).
Having said that... If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, it probably is a duck..... but sometimes its a goose. So look close.

Barb Miller (general surgeon)

I can't recommend those Cottonnelle bathroom wipes enough. They're much easier on the old sensitive tissue than dry toilet paper!

One Short said:
Having said that... If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, it probably is a duck..... but sometimes its a goose. So look close.

Barb Miller (general surgeon)

Thanks, Barb. In most health plans you DO have to have a really awful problem to get to see the surgeon. It's getting unbelievable....sigh.

I have to do something about my dyslexia. I thought the thread said "ANNUAL FISHING"! When I read it I about passed out!!!! EEEEEEEEEWWWWWW!!!
No fishing story here folks, keep it moving(no pun intended)!

Just when you think a sensitive topic like this will be handled with grace and tact (and it was by the pros thank you very much), here comes Gary!:lightning:

(He's like that on the Commander board too, but we love him anyway:D)

-Rich

Hey Rich,

Congrats on your new airplane. She's a beauty.

Speaking of 94J, how's the landing gear holding up?(inside joke)

I have not told Scott about PoA, yet. I thought that one of us would be enough on this webboard, unless things get boring.

Received an email from Robert Fisher(AOPA) asking if I would participate in their beta testing of the new webboard. I accepted the invitation. Should be interesting.

Robert said he would save me a parking spot at the AOPA Open House on June 4th. Hope the weather cooperates.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
Gary

I just got back from my colonoscopy and found out I have an anal fissure and hemorrhoids. I have been dealing with both for some time now and have grounded myself a few times due to flair ups. Now my Doc prescribed Nitroglycerin cream that he wants me to use for 3 months. I checked AOPA and cant find anything about the cream and I'm concerned about grounding …..does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this cream? it looks like there are alternate treatments and maybe I should look into them. What a pain in the …

Thanks, Barb. In most health plans you DO have to have a really awful problem to get to see the surgeon. It's getting unbelievable....sigh.

Yeah, and next time someone orders a nerve conduction test on me I'm coming after them with a Tazer while they're on the toilet.

Every bathroom in my house has a bidet seat. I have no problems in that arena but it keeps me alot cleaner - when I travel I miss my bidet! Sounds crazy but go out and spend $300 on one - you will wonder how you ever lived without one. Plus, you wife will love you at that 'time of the month' since she can keep clean too easily. Underwear is cleaner, I'm cleaner, bath room is cleaner and I use perhaps 25% of the TP we used to us - and those of you with wimen in the house know that you need to own stock in a company that makes it . . .

Every bathroom in my house has a bidet seat. I have no problems in that arena but it keeps me alot cleaner - when I travel I miss my bidet! Sounds crazy but go out and spend $300 on one - you will wonder how you ever lived without one. Plus, you wife will love you at that 'time of the month' since she can keep clean too easily. Underwear is cleaner, I'm cleaner, bath room is cleaner and I use perhaps 25% of the TP we used to us - and those of you with wimen in the house know that you need to own stock in a company that makes it . . .

We bought Toto toilets about 5 years ago and I got my wife a Toto Washlet about a month ago. In 28 years of marriage, my wife has never been so grateful for something I've done for her.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back