An Un-Rain Dance for the Northeast Please!

DutchessFlier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DutchessFlier
Is it too much to ask for one, just one, day without rain so I can fly all of my cross country flights and finally get it done!!!! SHEEEESH

Well...I took advantage of the crappy WX and got all the administrative things out of the way, took and passed the FAA written today and postponed the same X-C flight for I guess it has to be the 5th time. The test was not too bad, had a few questions that I did not see before in my studying, especially a question about seaplane operations...that was a surprise.

Crazy thing is that I have not set foot in my plane since May 31st..thats how bad it has been with the rain....:mad3:

Fly down to Texas and finish it up; we've been sunny and hot for over a week now. Broke 100 today, no relief in site. News yesterday said "long range models indicate this pattern might last the rest of the summer."

boy-o-boy would I love to have a good VFR day for flying... I'm beyond grumpy...

Well Dutchess, Congrats on passing the writen. I'm sure you'll get the X/C in and do fine on the flying part of the test. Keep us informed .
Dave G

You'll get it.

Heck, Leslie did her ENTIRE PP cross-country in a single flight! She was only 10NM short of the requirements for the commercial XC, and she did it that way because she had her checkride staring her in the face.

Yea, the rain is out of control! Since April, it has rained 75% of the time. Only 7 days so far in june were rain free. Thats sad! And the 10 outlook looks worse...

The only good part is it really makes IFR training real!

Last edited:
This is how training works. When you're trying to get your private done, you have all of these great IFR days. When you're trying to get your IFR training done, you get perfectly clear, cloudless days. When you have your instrument rating, you'll be flying a plane without de-ice in winter and getting in icing conditions is bad, so you go VFR anyway. When you get a plane with de-ice, the freezing levels are higher than you fly, so you don't use it. Murphy exists to frustrate you. :)

I ended up doing all of my solo XCs as a student in one day. Nothing wrong with doing it that way - just wait for a good day and have at it! :yes:

But, since Murphy's law is recursive, you cannot go after your instrument rating with the intention of causing good VFR days.

Good point, Bob. If you try that, you'll end up with ceilings below minimums.

I makes for some beautiful IFR weather. And don't feel bad. I took my instructor a month to solo me since I was his first. He had to wait for a bone dry zero wind day.

Last edited:
I feel for you Ducthess...When I was trying to get my complex a few months ago, it rained out 7 straight lessons. All I had to do was go up with my instructor one more time, do a few touch and gos and he was going to endorse me. When it finally cleared for a few days, I had to go out of town for business. But the skies finally cleared a little bit down here in NC starting the first part of May and I was back to it. Don't get too frustrated.

I still remember trying to get my BFR done in January. I think it finally happened in March. We're pretty lucky down here in the Midwest; we've had a great June. Pretty unusual, actually.

Yea, this is getting out of hand. However, this afternoon looks promising and I have my first unsupervised solo after work today. I was able to get my 3 supervised solos complete during the last 2 weeks since ceilings were just high enough to stay in the pattern for touch-and-goes. I wasn't too nervous for those, but today is gonna be the first time venturing out of Delta alone.

Rain has become a nasty 4 letter word. Every single day without fail for as long as I can remember.

Go wash your mouth out with liquid soap for mentioning that word. And no you can't rinse with water because if you do, it'll have to rain again for an additional week to make up for the used water.

BTW, it's raining...again...still...

we had rain on saturday. its been about 100 degF since then. this weekend we get a "cool" front and it drops to an arctic 95!

It has been dreadful. Now that this weekend might be some good weather....I have to leave town!

Saturday June 27th update...GUESS WHAT...Its raining AGAIN. Cancelled the flight this morning since we had no sky at all to work with. Been raining since about 1 PM. Gonna try again tomorrow morning....

Saturday June 27th update...GUESS WHAT...Its raining AGAIN. Cancelled the flight this morning since we had no sky at all to work with. Been raining since about 1 PM. Gonna try again tomorrow morning....

Looks like you finally found good weather on Sunday morning. I haven't been up in so long it hurts. I tried yesterday morning but had to cancell for a mechanical problem. Grrr. :mad3:

-Skip

Sunday Morning.....cancelled again everything out East is IFR...North-Northwest is MTOS and theres another front coming in from the West and South is NY Metro Class Bravo...even the briefer has sympathetic words for all of us in the NY-New England area!!! Guess I have to just sit in the plane and put the Mets-Yankees game on the ADF. :) (just kidding)

Back