An oops in the Comm Airplane PTS?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Area of Operation VIII: Slow flight and stalls
B. Power-Off Stalls
4. Maintains a specified heading, ±10º in straight flight, maintains a specified angle of bank, not to exceed 20º ±5º in turning flight while inducing the stall.
C. Power-On Stalls
5. Maintains a specified heading, ±5º in straight flight, maintains a specified angle of bank, not to exceed 20º ±10º in turning flight while inducing the stall.

:dunno:

Who would you contact to clarify this and/or get it fixed? Anything easier than snail-mailing AFS-630 in OKC?

FWIW, this is FAA-S-8081-12B effective Aug. 1, 2002.

Who would you contact to clarify this and/or get it fixed? Anything easier than snail-mailing AFS-630 in OKC?

OK, I found a form on the web site to contact the Airman Certification branch. Done.

And that is the current version as listed on the FAA web site as well.

What? You want consistency?

It's easy to work around Just keep everything +/- 5 degrees. :D

I don't understand, what's the "oops"?

If the stall is performed straight ahead, you have ±X° leeway on the heading. If the stall is performed in a turn, you have ±x° leeway on the bank angle.

And the specific parameters are different for a power off stall than a power on stall.

So? Might be a transpositional error or might have bee intentional.

Last edited:
A power-on stall generally involves a much higher deck angle, so I'd bet the difference is intentional.

I was thinking that the power-on stall, being (in my mind at least) a "tougher" manuever would get the looser tolerances in turning. And since it's nearly impossible to maintain heading in a power on stall by visual reference (because of the deck angle), the tighter tolerance there may be related to the fact that one would be looking at the DG.

For me, it depends on the weather that day. If there are clouds I can look at, then no problem. But if it's a clear blue sky, then before the power-on stall, all I see is featureless blue and it's really hard.

--Kath

look out the side? there certainly has to be something out there.

look out the side? there certainly has to be something out there.

Everytime I look outside, I have flash-backs of The Twilight Zone... the episode where Bill Shatner sees the gremlin on the wing of the plane.

Makes my stalls add +/-5 degrees every time :dunno:

lol bill im too young for the twilight zone, so my stalls are fine...

Area of Operation VIII: Slow flight and stalls
B. Power-Off Stalls
4. Maintains a specified heading, ±10º in straight flight, maintains a specified angle of bank, not to exceed 20º ±5º in turning flight while inducing the stall.
C. Power-On Stalls
5. Maintains a specified heading, ±5º in straight flight, maintains a specified angle of bank, not to exceed 20º ±10º in turning flight while inducing the stall.

:dunno:

What do you need clarification on?

My money is on clerical error. I hardly ever see a govt. publication without some. Almost every time they do a reg re-write, ot PTS change, there are almost always some type of typo or mis-type of something.

Everytime I look outside, I have flash-backs of The Twilight Zone... the episode where Bill Shatner sees the gremlin on the wing of the plane.

Makes my stalls add +/-5 degrees every time :dunno:
Thanks, for the laugh! As soon as I read "Twilight Zone" I knew which episode you meant.

BTW: that wasn't a gremlin, that was a full blown yeti. Yeti on the wing.

Back