An Eventful December

bkreager

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RedTail
So in my first month as an airline pilot, among the holidays and blizzards, I got the opportunity to declare an emergency and a week later, abort a takeoff at 100 kts.

The "emergency" occurred one morning in Tennessee just after 6am when after takeoff, I called for gear up...and instead of the gear retracting, we got a hydraulic look-down light with a master caution. The captain immediately performed the memory items for the hydraulic look-down light, which included turning off the hydraulic pump and looking at the various hydraulic accumulator pressures. We had good pressure in the two brake accumulators and the emergency accumulator, but not in the main accumulator. We continued to climb out en route to Detroit and started working through the emergency checklist for this problem. We let departure know that we had a problem and that we may potentially be returning to the airport, but we would continue on course for the time being. Upon completion of the checklist it was clear that the hydraulic pump had completely failed on us, which meant that I had the pleasure of pumping up the system pressure manually. I couldn't have been happier to be working up a sweat at 6am pumping up the pressure on this stupid airplane.

Without hydraulic pressure, we lose nosewheel steering, flaps, gear, and braking ability. Thankfully, the gear came back down immediately and locked without issue, and we weren't losing hydraulic fluid. The checklist says that at some point during the landing, depending on how much hydraulic pressure you use up, you will abruptly lose the ability to steer and use brakes. Wonderful.

The captain had contacted our dispatcher and agreed that a return to our departure airport would be the best option with the gear hanging out and some snowy weather around Detroit. Upon making the 180 back to Tennessee, we decided that declaring an emergency would be the safest option given an unknown amount of controllability once on the ground.

We decided that a flaps-zero landing would be the best option since we had a very limited amount of hydraulic pressure in reserve. Should we need to go-around and by chance have an engine failure, having the flaps down while I'm furiously pumping away to try and get them back up might not turn out very good.

We received vectors back to a visual pattern to the airport and I made one of the smoothest landings I've ever made in the Saab. I think the captain barely had to use, if at all, any braking to get us slowed down and cleared the runway onto the parallel taxiway. The fire trucks met us and verified that everything was good, with the exception of one guy that thought he smelled some sort of burning. I think they just wanted to shoot some water/foam out of the truck to be "prepared" in case anything burst into flames.

The checklist mandates that we not taxi into the gate area with our limited braking effectiveness, so we shut down the engines and got a looooong tow back to the gate. Contract maintenance starting looking over everything immediately while we headed back to the hotel. From what I hear, mechanics had to be flown in from Memphis to get everything fixed. By the time that it was ready to go, we had run out of duty time so some other crew had to take it back to Detroit. I couldn't have been happier to NOT see a/c #410 on the ramp the next morning.

The only paperwork I had to fill out was for the company, it would have been the exact same stuff whether we had declared the emergency or not. I had to fill out the same paperwork when we aborted a takeoff a week or so later too.

This wasn't nearly as exciting, but as I was taking off from Muskegon, accelerating through 100 knots or so, we got a configuration warning along with a master warning. The captain called for the abort, took control of the airplane, and got us slowed relatively quickly without having to use much braking. We suspected that one of the condition levers had shaken ever-so-slightly out of the "Max" position, which would trigger a config warning. Apparently this has happened more than a few times before at this airline. The captain contacted our dispatch and maintenance while everyone de-planed back into the terminal. The mechanics came out and did a config warning test to verify that everything was working properly, which it was, and signed off the airplane. We took off successfully an hour or two later without incident and never had another issue.

So far this month I haven't had anything major happen with the exception of some troubles starting at -25F one morning. Thats just waaay to cold for anything to be working right...including me. When is spring again?

Sounds very interesting.

On the first incident were you flying and that is why the capt. was running through all the check lists?

You did not mention much in the way of passengers but once on the ground did you have interaction with them and how did that go?

Initiation by fire. Always how it is... I lost my first engine on a P3 with 102 hours in type, and in the left seat at a military MGW. And with the weakest FE in the squad. Oh, and it was on departure, too.

Initiation by fire. Always how it is... I lost my first engine on a P3 with 102 hours in type, and in the left seat at a military MGW. And with the weakest FE in the squad. Oh, and it was on departure, too.
But, ya started with four!

:)

Some bizjets have similar systems, except I don't know of any with a manual pump. Some crews opt to turn the aux hyd pump to "off" rather than "normal" (armed) to prevent the system from pumping fluid overboard if something breaks. The logic for flying with it off has as many or more holes than doing it normally, but that isn't much deterrent to those who choose to do it their way.

That sounds like some good learning experience (although I'm sure the passengers thought otherwise). "Good learning experience" I think I generally define as something that you don't necessarily want to go through, but survive and learn from it.

Sounds very interesting.

On the first incident were you flying and that is why the capt. was running through all the check lists?

You did not mention much in the way of passengers but once on the ground did you have interaction with them and how did that go?
Yea, standard procedure is for the pilot not flying to read and do the emergency checklist items, so that was the captain on that flight. That worked out pretty good since he had to talk to ATC, dispatch, and the passengers while not having to worry about flying the plane. I think he made several PA's to the pax about what was going on, the FA said that only one person was really worried. Most people just looked annoyed when we were on the ground during de-boarding, no one really said much to us. Afaik, everyone got re-booked on flights later that day.

Some bizjets have similar systems, except I don't know of any with a manual pump. Some crews opt to turn the aux hyd pump to "off" rather than "normal" (armed) to prevent the system from pumping fluid overboard if something breaks. The logic for flying with it off has as many or more holes than doing it normally, but that isn't much deterrent to those who choose to do it their way.
We just have one pump onboard, so its pretty much always in the "auto" setting. The memory items for the hydraulic caution light have you immediately turn off the pump just in case you are dumping fluid overboard. In that case, if the gear is stuck up, we have a handle that releases the gear and activates explosive bolts in the gear doors to try and get everything down.

We just have one pump onboard, so its pretty much always in the "auto" setting. The memory items for the hydraulic caution light have you immediately turn off the pump just in case you are dumping fluid overboard. In that case, if the gear is stuck up, we have a handle that releases the gear and activates explosive bolts in the gear doors to try and get everything down.

We can "dangle the Dunlops" with the blow down too, but as your well-written post indicated, that's just the beginning of the fun.

Back